1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hot, salty bone broth. Fasting again.

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by wiflib, Nov 6, 2017.

1. thepolly

thepolly Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's interesting the difference between 'want' and 'need'. I really need to do a fast but then I keep going shopping and buying food... Think I really need to make a plan and stick to it. I mostly only eat once a day as it is so it shouldn't be too much of a leap.

On the topic of bone broth recipes though, I like Martina's from keto diet app. She uses whatever bones you like, bay leaves, celery, onion, carrot, cyder vinegar and natural salt. Usual time to cook it then drain into something, let it cool, skim and enjoy :)

I really like using oxtail it goes very gelatinous which pleases me :D

• Like Like x 2
  2. Lord Midas

Lord Midas Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've read many articles and books saying that Bone Broth is a good source of salts and nutrients that does not break your Fast.

Has anyone any thoughts on whether Bovril (as a bone broth alternative) would do the same thing as meaty broth drink and won't break my fast?

3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Depends a bit on what you are fasting for I guess..

4. Lord Midas

I'm doing a 14 day fast. It's for weight loss, improved health, and all the other benefits of doing a fast.
    I just want to ensure I keep my salts up, as even during my Keto lifestyle I get cramps. Which I'm putting to lack of salts and, I believe, Magnesium.

5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

If you are after autophagy then the protein in the Bovril may not be good.. then again the bone broth might not be so good for that either. If you are fasting for other reasons then I can't see why the bovril should have much of an impact.. it does have carbs but very few in a cup with a teaspoon of bovril in it. I used to have a consomme type soup with a knob of butter in it on my extended fasts which certainly reduced any pangs... butter in bovril? hmm I hate the taste of bovril so not for me but might be worth a try..

6. Lord Midas

Thanks for the info bulkbiker :)
    For those interested here's Bovril's main nutritional info:
    one good teaspoon is:
    fat = <0.5g
    carbs = 1.6g
    protein = 4.4g
    salt = 1.4g

7. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I just realised I didn’t update. I did 15 days in the end and broke it with the meat from the bones.
    8lb weight loss of which 6 went back on and fasting bloods in the 4’s.

It wasn’t difficult at all and I could have gone longer, I’ll do another in the new year and again before the PHEC conference.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@wiflib it will be interesting if your fasting BG remains in the 4's long-term even with putting the weight back on.

9. jwongcsp

jwongcsp Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Not much of a recipe. bones, water, salt to taste. I cook mine for 120 minutes in a pressure cooker. Just set it and forget it.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook