Hot Weather And Blood Sugars

Tinyitaliana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear readers,

Im a 20 year old female; had diabetes for 8 years now and was wondering if it is common to suffer from severe low blood sugars due to hot weather and over heating?

My feet and legs tend to swell if standing for a long time e.g. Whilst im working in the pub.

I get so tired and bothered and fed up that these hypos are making me poorly... If anyone has any advice or experience something similar please reply xx

Thanks a lot xx

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi and welcome @Tinyitaliana :)

Some of us type 1's find we need slightly less basal insulin when the weather warms up, have you tried adjusting your insulin doses to reduce the hypo episodes, if not give it a try or alternatively make sure you have a carby snack more regular whilst you work, if unsure what to do with regards to your insulin have a chat with your DSN.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
buono sera @Tinyitaliana :)
many type 1's report they need much less insulin in the heat

agree that you should chat to your DSN about some dose adjustments for the warmer weather.

keep us posted on how you are getting on !!
All the best !!

Tinyitaliana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your replies! It means a lot that you take your time to read and write back... I will definitely reduce my dosages and will let you know how it goes thanks again x

Reactions: 3 people

Jodunlop

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm just back from 3 weeks in Louisiana and Texas - temps of 40* ++, every day. I had very little insulin for first 10 days, consistently hypo. It settled a little as I got more used to heat. Home now and insulin requirements back to where they were. Also ankle swelling, sometimes due to dehydration.
Had prepared by planning reduced basal rate but still very difficult to manage, quite exhausting. Hope you're ok now.

Tinyitaliana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been at work all day and had three hypos in 8.5 hours only a little but of insulin... Im so tired. I cant not inject but i also cant do too much

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Been at work all day and had three hypos in 8.5 hours only a little but of insulin... Im so tired. I cant not inject but i also cant do too much
Hi there @Tinyitaliana
are you adjusting your own insulin based on your results or are you following advice from doctor / DSN and giving set doses at each mealtime ?
i really do think you need to phone your DSN to discuss this -- it does not sound like much fun --

as a forum we can't give specific medical advice but you don't want to be having that many hypos in a day

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was only diagnosed 8 weeks ago and went to Spain 4 weeks later. I was having hypos first few days of holiday and found that reducing by baseline stopped them.

Reactions: 2 people