Hot weather/ poor sleep/ increased BG in morning

Higaomo

Hi, hoping someone more knowledgeable might be able to shed some light on this.

I was told to check my BG every morning before breakfast. Usually it is somewhere between 5.8 - 6.2, however the last 2 mornings it has been 6.7 & 6.8. Is the hot weather and consequently the last two nights of poor sleep likely to be the cause? I don’t believe I’ve eaten anything different and am doing my best to stay hydrated (although naturally drinking less overnight).

Thanks in advance.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Poor sleep and hot weather are indeed a reason for higher bg but those difference you mention are so small I would not be at all concerned about and it could be your meter just giving a higher reading because it is hot .

Reactions: EllieM and Higaomo

Higaomo

Thank you
I know it’s not a huge change, but my readings have been pretty consistent for the last few months and these are different, although I also have a summer cold at the moment so maybe that could also be a factor ‍

Last edited:

Higaomo

7.3 this morning :(
I’m thinking maybe this cold/cough (generously shared with me by my granddaughter) is more of a factor than the heat/poor sleep

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
7.3 this morning :(
I’m thinking maybe this cold/cough (generously shared with me by my granddaughter) is more of a factor than the heat/poor sleep

It's pretty normal for bgs to be pushed up by illness, unfortunately. I hope you feel better soon and your bgs also go back to where you are used to them being.

Reactions: Higaomo

Higaomo

It's pretty normal for bgs to be pushed up by illness, unfortunately. I hope you feel better soon and your bgs also go back to where you are used to them being.
Thank you. I hope so too - fingers crossed! :)
It’s the first time I’ve been ill since my T2 was diagnosed so I haven’t experienced this kind of blip before. I’ll be ready to expect it next time.