Hot Weather

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey guys,

I have been noticing that my insulin is reacting more and i don’t know if it’s the hot weather or just something different? but it’s been very very hot where i am lately and usually if my blood sugars are around 12/13 mmol it takes about 2 units of insulin to bring me down to about 7/8 mmol within about 2-3 hours. over the last couple days if my sugars are at 12 or 13 roughly and i inject 2 units of insulin like usual my sugars will drop QUICKLY to 4/5 within about an hour or less, and before you know it i’m in a hypo?! what is this??

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
  • Heat can affect your blood glucose (sugar) levels and also increase the absorption of some fast-acting insulin, meaning you will need to test your blood glucose more often and perhaps adjust your intake of insulin, food, and liquids.
From a US site, but insulin is insulin.... So it's not your body being weird, it's just the heat. Take care, stay safe.:)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, yep. The heat has increased my insulin sensitivity too..

I've also needed to ajust my basal the last couple of weeks I've been off work (holiday leave.) I normaly start early & work in an air con environment..?

I agree @Antje77 , it's 'avin a bit of a larf.! :banghead:

Reactions: Antje77