How are continuous glucose sensors inserted?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I am puzzled how the continuous glucose sensor microneedles are inserted.

Is there a hollow guide microneedle that contains a flexible microneedle with the sensor where both are inserted one inside the other and then the hollow microneedle is removed?

Is there an animation that shows how exactly the insertion takes place?

Thanks!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there a hollow guide microneedle that contains a flexible microneedle with the sensor where both are inserted one inside the other and then the hollow microneedle is removed?
That's exactly how it works for the FreeStyle Libre. Except the hollow needle (it's actually half hollow, like a U) isn't very micro.
I made the mistake of looking at it before my first insertion. It doesn't hurt though.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
66B1284F-CEF8-47A4-B669-14C80B707597.jpeg
Here’s a pic of a failed one so it gives you an idea of what the actual “ grubbings” are like . . It looks horrendous but as @Antje77 says it doesn’t hurt . Not as much as taking 10 blood sugars a day using the old finger prick

Reactions: Juicyj and Antje77

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Ushthetaff Next time anyone queries the amount of blood these things can unleash it would be good to show them this, fully explains why some of mine were dripping blood from the centre :woot:

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
@Ushthetaff Next time anyone queries the amount of blood these things can unleash it would be good to show them this, fully explains why some of mine were dripping blood from the centre :woot:
This one failed when I put it on , basically the retractable needle didn’t retract and that needle shown in pic ended up in my arm , not so bad I’ve had diabetes that long I can remember the syringe needles being longer than that and not as sharp lol

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 42645 Here’s a pic of a failed one so it gives you an idea of what the actual “ grubbings” are like . . It looks horrendous but as @Antje77 says it doesn’t hurt . Not as much as taking 10 blood sugars a day using the old finger prick

That pic would be FAB, with an easily recognisable object alongside, like a 2/10p coin, perhaps. That looks ginagerous, but anyone familiar knows it's very small indeed.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That pic would be FAB, with an easily recognisable object alongside, like a 2/10p coin, perhaps. That looks ginagerous, but anyone familiar knows it's very small indeed.
That’s a true statement . I suppose it’s possible to scale it to the thickness off the sensor,

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s a true statement . I suppose it’s possible to scale it to the thickness off the sensor,
I'm not arguing against what you are saying, nor criticising your photo, but I don't necessarily think @Rabdos has ever used the Libre (or such like), so may not quite appreciate the size of it.

It's just me at my pickiest best. :)

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The sensor is the same size as a £2 coin, I checked. As someone completely new to all this it was very daunting and I’m not looking forward to replacing this first one on Thursday.

I made the mistake of looking at the needle before trying to apply the sensor & to me it looks huge. The nurse literally grabbed my hand & forced me to do it. It wasn’t a great moment for personal autonomy but I probably would have chickend out.

But ultimately it didn’t hurt at all & I will be applying the next one.

Reactions: Antje77

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I made the mistake of looking at the needle before trying to apply the sensor & to me it looks huge. The nurse literally grabbed my hand & forced me to do it. It wasn’t a great moment for personal autonomy but I probably would have chickend out.

Haha. I think we have all done that! I hate needles even after 49 years of T1D. BUT it did not hurt at all. Been on the Libre for nigh on 2 years and only had one painful insertion

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The sensor is the same size as a £2 coin, I checked. As someone completely new to all this it was very daunting and I’m not looking forward to replacing this first one on Thursday.

But ultimately it didn’t hurt at all & I will be applying the next one.

Tash, at it's worst, it's a bit like when your big brother pinged you with an elastic band. A sharp smart, then it's all over.

(I was the victim, not the big brother.)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Tash, at it's worst, it's a bit like when your big brother pinged you with an elastic band. A sharp smart, then it's all over.

(I was the victim, not the big brother.)

:hilarious: that hurt a LOT more than the Libre insertion. I too was that little brother

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

I don't have a big brother or a small brother for that matter.

But I have found the application of the sensor painless it's when it comes off it smarts a bit.