how best to support newly diagnosed 20yr son

Littlefootsy

Hi ,

Mum of my 19/nearly 20 yr old son is newly diagnosed with Diabetes type 1 - has so much more going of his life -including a mental health breakdown that meant that he had to suspend his studies at a top unie. We now know that the onset of diabetes type 1 wouldn't exactly have helped him - and probably contributed to his breakdown - the diabetes only became apparent several months after the breakdown but he'd now we know being showing sypmtoms for at least a year before hand. He was recovering from the mental health issues but the diabetes has now meant he has an even bigger battle coming to terms with his situation. he's been encouraged to try to focus on getting on with life but he is finding it very hard to think about the next week let alone wheather or not he goes back to unie - or anything else. his confidence has been very knocked,.

Any advice at all as to how I can help him/what I can suggest, how I can support and encourage best / where he could go to get help and support.

He already has lots of professional support but he wants to do so much by himself and there are long gaps in time between his appointments. And I see him struggle so am trying to help him make life easier .

He seems to struggle to do the practical things and he gets cross if I suggest these - so i figure he needs lots of emotional support. however I also understand that he needs to get a few practical things done to make life less stressy.

many thanks

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there
I can see you have posted essentially the same thread in 2 sub forums ( parents , and in young people/ adults )
I can understand that you wish to get answers from 2 different perspectives of 2 completely different age groups/ relationship to D.
i think we can leave the 2 threads as they are and hopefully the support you receive will equal your expectation.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hi,

Get him to read through things here and post questions. The other great help initially would be to get a Freestyle Libre blood glucose monitor. That will give 24 hour view of his blood sugars and if you use it as data that you respond to can be invaluable to getting to grips with this. They are expensive unfortunately but for a period of 2 weeks or even a month could be really helpful.

Diabetes is a bore, but it is not life limiting if you can accept it and deal with it in a coherent way, the worse thing that one can do is pretend it's not there.

Best

Dillinger

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Littlefootsy i was 2 when I was diagnosed and my 2yr old was diagnosed a few months ago. So different ages but hard no matter what. Have they put you both in touch with others a similar age to near you-sometimes they have youth groups etc. When I was at uni no one got it as I was the only one. It's not just the course it's also wanting to have a life and go out too! Alcohol can impact on the sugars.

You just have to somehow get him to accept that this is part of life and learn to live with it. It's just the way it is. Yes it's hard work but it's not stopped me so far-I got my degree, studied for professional exams, had a good senior job and now have a 2yr old (who is diabetic) and baby twins. So I've also been type1 and had 2 pregnancies! Yes it's rubbish when you are high or low or ill etc but it shouldn't let him stop doing it. I can't help with the breakdown side but take things a day at a time I think. Is he interested in sport? Get him to look up team novo nordisk American all diabetes athletes. Good luck x

Freefall_Ash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ,

Mum of my 19/nearly 20 yr old son is newly diagnosed with Diabetes type 1 - has so much more going of his life -including a mental health breakdown that meant that he had to suspend his studies at a top unie. We now know that the onset of diabetes type 1 wouldn't exactly have helped him - and probably contributed to his breakdown - the diabetes only became apparent several months after the breakdown but he'd now we know being showing sypmtoms for at least a year before hand. He was recovering from the mental health issues but the diabetes has now meant he has an even bigger battle coming to terms with his situation. he's been encouraged to try to focus on getting on with life but he is finding it very hard to think about the next week let alone wheather or not he goes back to unie - or anything else. his confidence has been very knocked,.

Any advice at all as to how I can help him/what I can suggest, how I can support and encourage best / where he could go to get help and support.

He already has lots of professional support but he wants to do so much by himself and there are long gaps in time between his appointments. And I see him struggle so am trying to help him make life easier .

He seems to struggle to do the practical things and he gets cross if I suggest these - so i figure he needs lots of emotional support. however I also understand that he needs to get a few practical things done to make life less stressy.

many thanks
Hi Littlefootsy, I don't normally look at this part of the forum but saw your post and could relate straight away - I'm 20 and was only diagnosed a year ago. I wouldn't mind having a chat with your son if you wanted! I remember the confusion and frustration at the start so if I could help in any way I'd love too

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app