1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How can I reduce my HbA1C

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Jax73, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Jax73

Jax73 Type 2 · Newbie

I was diagnosed with T1 diabetes in September 2016 with an HbA1C of 96 which was repeated a week later and had increased to 108. It has since increased to 148 and is now down to 115. I am waiting for surgery which has just been cancelled as my HbA1C needs to be, at the highest, in the 70s.
    Does anyone have any idea how I can reduce it quickly? I have LADA which is very difficult to control and my BMs are very erratic ranging from the high teens to hypo status in a matter of minutes. I’m strict with my diet and exercise as much as I can but this is limited as I have 3 large abdominal hernias which I am desperate to have repaired. I have not done a DAFNE course as I keep being told it isn’t available.
    Any advice would be most welcomed. Thank you!!

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Please can you clarify the type of diabetes you have. You mention Type 1 and LADA in your post, but your profile says Type 2.
    Also, which diabetes medications are you taking? This will help us with our answers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. notafanofsugar

notafanofsugar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Welcome to the community x

4. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. If you are defined as LADA or T1 then you should probably be on insulin and the Basal/Bolus regime. Sometimes you will be started on just tablets like I was but starting insulin early is best. Do let us know whether you are on insulin and what type(s)

5. wellperson

wellperson Type 2 · Member

Look at the website mastering diabetes which is run by two type 1 diabetics..

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook