How can I reduce my waist size?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for letting me now about the bold text.
I use it for highlighting or emphasis - but will try to remember not to do it here.

No worries. The odd bit of bold, or italics is generally fine, but when in "debate" it's easy to misinterpret the stark written word.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Everyone is different.
My waist is probably the last place that I lose weight from and the first place that I put it on.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are some good exercises to decrease my waist size? I'm looking for either weight training or plyometrics. I know running will decrease my waist size, but I've heard plyometrics > running. Just trying to figure out some good workouts because I'm trying to get the V-Shape. Im at about 12% BF
I don’t do either so can’t advise. General fat loss cannot be directed at particular body areas, whereas muscle gain, tone or strength can be directed.
For type 2 a fair amount of the fat stored from excess glucose will be around the organs, so gaining blood glucose control means that accumulation stops and then reverses. It’s also the most damaging area to have fat so once again a lot comes down to glucose control first and the central fat loss follows.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi there! Great progress! congrats! However I am afraid you don't get to choose where you body gets the fat from. There is no such thing as spot fat reduction. So the only advice I dare to give you is to keep going. Make it your new "you". Life is a "marathon" not a "sprint". Keep the good work, make this healthy choices part of your new life and progress will show up in time.
Last but not least, try to engage in strength training, consume enough protein ~1.8g/kg and staff yourself with as many veggies you like :). Don forget to enjoy the life! even if it comes with a cake or a toast or something that you do not consume daily, but you can try once in a while.
Good luck!
Not sure if the OP is T2, but if so a diet aimed at T1 is not aways the best.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, I am tending to think that both the original poster in 2019, and perhaps you? @xuledywo ? are not actually living with diabetes? you mentioned being insulin dependent type 2 in your type of diabetes on your profile, as a 25 year old?, and having Lymes disease in a post?.Anyway - give me a nod in the right direction if I am way off. As it is, it isn't really possible to talk about abdominal fat/waist reduction stuff (of which I am really interested) unless we can understand how your metabolism is playing out. As it is really important.

If it's general interest the book by Liz Vaccariello, 'Flat Belly Diet', with exercises at the end if you are interested, is really good. She goes to great lengths to discuss the particular aspects of belly fat, and she does it well, imho. If one has metabolic disease/type 2 there is the carbs (in a duo with dietary fat) that needs to be paid attention, close attention to.

• Useful
Reactions: jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sowwy if this had been discussed before. I'm a newbie and didn't see any threads. I'm apple-shaped and I hate it! I am always in between sizes because I am disproportionate. I always have to get my dresses taken in and it's annoying to buy an expensive dress and then pay even more money to take it to a skilled tailor who won't ruin it.

I am far from fat. I just have a wide waist. I know I need to lose weight to get rid of belly fat but don't want to lose what little curves I have. And I can't control where I lose. I've heard belly fat is usually the last and most stubborn to lose too. I guess I'll try to focus on toning.

I know I'll never be an hourglass, but if I could lose just 3 inches I would be happier with my shape.

Has any comfortable waist trainer worked for anyone and are they safe to wear?
Apologies for asking but do you have a forward facing belly that is something more than a normal curve that media has made us think shouldn’t exist? If you do in fact have a bigger than healthy waist it may be that as a type 2 you have stored what fat you do have around your internal organs. Unfortunately this is both a symptom and result of metabolic issues.

The good news is that reducing cards actually does help you lose it here first as it addresses the root cause of insulin resistance and also lowering blood glucose and triglycerides. If you don’t have any generally body weight to lose or spare increasing healthy naturally occurring unprocessed fats (not seed and vegetable oils and definitely not margarine) and proteins will help you maintain your overall weight and avoid hunger and metabolic slow down whilst protecting lean muscle.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: AloeSvea and jjraak

Claudia 1961

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sowwy if this had been discussed before. I'm a newbie and didn't see any threads. I'm apple-shaped and I hate it! I am always in between sizes because I am disproportionate. I always have to get my dresses taken in and it's annoying to buy an expensive dress and then pay even more money to take it to a skilled tailor who won't ruin it.

I am far from fat. I just have a wide waist. I know I need to lose weight to get rid of belly fat but don't want to lose what little curves I have. And I can't control where I lose. I've heard belly fat is usually the last and most stubborn to lose too. I guess I'll try to focus on toning.

I know I'll never be an hourglass, but if I could lose just 3 inches I would be happier with my shape.

Side planks helped my waist greatly. It took several months but quite noticeable.

• Informative

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Same as we all say, being metabolically challenged in a diabetes forum - lower the carbs. Find out if you are intolerant to any major food type, like wheat, dairy, so go on elimination diets to check that out. Like others above, I found on dropping wheat and sugar belly fat was the first to go, not the last. Lowering carbs hugely sealed the deal.

But xuledytwo - you know that waist reduction in this forum is about health and getting better with and surviving a nasty disease/variations on blood glucose issues? Not about being happier with one's shape - right?

veggie163

I'm no expert but I think you may lose visceral fat first. That's all the rubbish round your liver for example, internal stuff. Then chins, belly etc. I'll probably get shot down in flames for this summation, but good for you, stick at it. (it was over six months till I could get in my wife's underwear).
HaHa