How come I felt ok

Brekky

I have been diagnosed since April with type 2 and over Christmas I tested my sugar level and found it had gone up from normally being around 7 to 9 up to 31.5 and yet I never felt any different . my HCP told me when I was first diagnosed if my level went up over 24 I would be in hospital. I am so confused Do I really have diabetes? I do not take the metformin and simvertatin that the doctor tells me I have to take because I do not agree with the way they threw a load of medication at me in the beginning, and I was told they only dish out all the medication because they are paid for dishing it out . Help I am so confused.

Skid

With a reading of 31.5, you are definitely diabetic, most non diabetics will never get a reading above 10.

Not all type 2's are prescribed Metformin, some get away with just being given dietary advice, some are prescribed insulin injections. If you have been prescribed it, it is because your body cannot supply enough insulin to maintain a safe average blood glucose level. The fact that you haven't taken it and your BG is 31.5 shows that you need to take it.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Brekky, your levels of 7 to 9 are high your level of 31.5 is dangerously high and you will certainly end up in hospital if you dont reduce them down to single figures again.

You are diabetic it will not go away and I would recommend that you take the medication your doctor has prescribed.

Doctors do NOT get paid for placing their patients on drugs, the diabetes drug you have been prescribed will help to bring your bg levels down but you will need to work on your diet as well.

Please stop listening to barrack room lawyers and conspiracy theorists have a good read of the forum especially the Information for the newly diagnosed, just click on the underlined text.

And good luck bringing those numbers down :)

jaykay

May I ask, if you are not going to take the advice of your GP, have you done anything yourself? Any research, diet change? etc. Do you test after every meal? If so what are your usual readings? You can't keep at those levels for very long without keeling over but maybe it was a one off spike ( some kinda spike but still....!) and your levels are usually within guidelines. If you are not happy with your GP's advice, go back, ask for a double appointment and tell them you need a long chat with your GP for things to be explained properly. This is your body, you need to pay attention to it, it's trying to tell you that you need help.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Brekky,
If you are given meds then it is best to take it to get those levels down, they are dangerously high and will affect your eyes, kidneys, heart and nervous system if you let them continue.
You may have had diabetes for a considerable time and that is why the high levels don't affect you? Levels like that need prompt attention and A@E is the best place to go.
What are you eating and have you read the advice for newly diagnosed?

louiseb

just a quick qustion did you wash your hands before testing as contamination on hands can really alter your readings. I once got a reading of 36.5 :shock: then I washed my hands and tested again within a few minutes and it was only 10.8 and didnt suddenly drop that quicly in a few mintes

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes of course you have diabetes with those high blood sugar levels.

Of course they prescribe metformin at the beginning, to lower your blood sugar, would you prefer they just stand around waiting for you to die? Why wouldn't they prescribe it, I really don't understand your thinking? Do you think the diabetes might magically go away on it's own if both you and the doctor ignore it or something?

Brekky

Hi and thanks to those of you who have answered my post.
When I was first diagnosed my HbA1c was 11.4 Back last year at the first 6 months check it had come down to 6.8 . The GP said my levels were pretty good, with no meds at all I was getting this .
Although the doctor was annoyed when I said I was not taking the meds. If my levels were good why did I need the meds ? I was puzzled . On speaking to several people with diabetes the thing they all told me was that the doctors get paid to dish out tablets by the companies that supply them, and this was the reason they dished out the meds so much. So being the stubborn woman I am I did not take the meds as I hate tyaking tablets. I have been taking antidepressants for 20+ years and have not been able to get off them, although I have tried. When I lost my son aged 6 years almost 8 years ago my doctor doubled my antidepressant dosage instead of steering me towards councelling she just threw more medication at me and I have not been able to get off them yet. When I was diagnosed type 2 I was not told anything apart from don't eat bananas, oranges, cakes, sweets, bread, potatoes or pasta any more and take these tablets (metformin 500) 1 per day for a week then 2 a day for the rest of the time until we tell you differently. Oh and definitely do not test yourself I was told , there is no need we will check you every six months. That was the nurse at the surgery told me that. I saw the doctor the foillowing week and she told me I also had to take simverstatin, I refused as my husband had taken these and got terrible side effects and when he spoke to the doctor about the side effects the GP said those are not from taking the statins , on reading the leaflet in the box the side effect he was getting were all listed on the leaflet. This is another reason I did not take my GP seriously. She told me my Cholesterol was dangerously high it was 5.2 . I recently had reason to go to the hospital for an ECG and when the consultant asked me what was my Cholesterol reading at (while he was looking it up on the computer), when I said at my last check up it was 5.1 he told me it was ok , I asked him was it high and he said no not at all. It has come down from 5.2 to 5.1 and it is now ok and yet when it was 5.2 it was dangerously high. who do I believe . I wish to goodness the health care people would just get together and all sing from the same hymn sheet. I am just so confused. My sugar level is down to a pretty normal (I think) 6-7 it was 7.3 long term at the last check up down from 11.4 that was with no meds just diet and exercise although I have not lost any weight apart from about 5 lbs over the past 6-8 months. I have given up sugar in my tea and coffee and I no longer drink pepsi . I used to drink about 1 litre to 2 litres every day.
I thank you for your replies in answer to HLW. I don't think this will magically go away if it is diabetes, were you not confused and scared when you were first diagnosed, My GP told me at my diagnosis that I was borderline back in 2005 but she had never bothered to tell me at the time, so I have no faith in her at all, when she told me to take these meds without explaining properly why I was angry and thought I didn't really need them as so many people seem to do ok without meds .
to Louiseb, Yes I did wash my hands as I always do before testing, but thanks for asking .
to catherinecherub, Thank you for your reply, I was unaware that the meds bought the levels down I thought they were just to stop complications , I have found that the more I read the more confused I am. I have been dealing with a hell of a lot of stress for the pasdt 6 months as well as a child with autism and I never seem to have any time for me , but I will take a look at the newly diagnosed advice as I was diagnosed last April and I need to take control of this asd the more I amn reading the more I am realising how serious this can be, thank you for your help.
Jaykay, I have changed my diet some and cut out all sugar in my drinks and given up pepsi alltogether. I will go back and talk to a doctor but I think I will see a different one as I have no faith in mine anymore. Thank you for your input.
Sid Bonkers & skid Many thanks for your input , I really appreciate you all sending me the advice you have and I will go and look at the advice for newly diagnosed again and pay another visit to a GP.
Best wishes to you all thanks for helping this silly woman who thinks she can just blunder through life with not a care in the world for herself. I needed this kick to get me back on track .
cheers folks

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your doctor is just being encouraging by saying your blood sugar results are good. They are not, they are too high, but they are much improved which is good, and show you have improved diet and exercise, so you should be pleased with them, but long term they need to be better.

I can't think of a polite reply to the rest of the post. Your poor, poor GP.

babyboomer

some people tolerate high blood sugar levels, but the long-term damage will increase if left untreated. My meds have recently failed, and I am waiting to go onto insulin. My blood sugars are currently around 20, and I feel fine, but obviously I need to get them down so as not to cause damage to my retina etc.

trand

Phew! reading this post is quite frightening, that someone would not take meds, and is listening to barrack room b........t, when i was diagnosed 6mths ago t2, to be honest it frigthened the bl**dy life out of me, and yet I have had 5heart attacks and 4x by-pass, yet diabetes scared me, and thankfully with the help given on here, and some will power I seem to be managing ok, my advice would be to anyone who doe's not want to listen , then don't ask...