Type 1 How did I get the carbs so wrong?

TraceyT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1 and have recently had excellent control as I have stuck so well to a low carb diet. But I went out for a meal tonight and it has all gone horribly wrong! Did I really miscalculate the carbs so badly?
I had:
Garlic mushrooms- mushrooms in a creamy sauce with salad.
Large house salad with two portions of goats cheese. Half a small brioche bun.
Two glasses of wine.
I have myself 8 units of novo rapid as I was 6.2 at the beginning of the meal. I've just tested myself and I've shot up to 18.3!!!!
What have I done wrong!!!!!!!

Reactions: deborabaratto

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
Hey TraceyT! I totally get you!! Sometimes, even when you eat basically no carb, you have to count something for the amount of proteins of the meal.

Also, what kind of wine did you drink? Red wine usually is full of carbs - one glass I take 2 units.

Did you stop to think if you're getting sick or if your period is coming? It might be an increase from you own body, not the food, because it seems like you took enough insulin for the meal and drinks :/

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1 and have recently had excellent control as I have stuck so well to a low carb diet. But I went out for a meal tonight and it has all gone horribly wrong! Did I really miscalculate the carbs so badly?
I had:
Two glasses of wine.
I have myself 8 units of novo rapid as I was 6.2 at the beginning of the meal. I've just tested myself and I've shot up to 18.3!!!!
Yeah, something has gone amiss here... But don't worry too much, carb counting when you're eating out is one of the hardest things to do - so high readings can happen!

There's often a lot of hidden carbohydrate in salad dressings, these can catch us out at times.

That creamy sauce may have contained sugar too, although it may not have tasted sweet, it's often countered with vinegar or something else acidic to balance the flavours.

Did the mushrooms have a batter coating? Again, batter is often underestimate in terms of its carb content, especially if it's wrapped around lots of wee things like mushrooms. There's also the extra flour which the food was rolled in to - before the batter was applied, again something which is often overlooked.

The wine probably contributed to your BG rise. It's one of the "better" alcoholic drinks for a diabetic, however it can and does still raise BG considerably for a lot of us:)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had:
Two glasses of wine.
Hi @TraceyT ,

I concur with the great advice above..
The menu sounds lovely too!

Just to add one thought? I noticed you posted at midnight after a social meal out.
What time do you usually take your Lantus?
I'm thinking your prevous dose of basal may have tailed off, if administered over 24 hours previous?
It can start phasing out at the 20/22 hour mark?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Restaurant meals are full of fat and hidden carbs in dressings/sauces. Whenever I eat out i need to bolus much more than I would for a similar home made meal

Reactions: Type1Bri