How did you feel about switching onto injections?

novoguy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
The best thing I ever did ,But what worries me more than any thing was I would put on weight ,and I did that's the only thing I hated about it

bkkMick

Dislikes
Chemotherapy. Just finished it.
Hi

My doctor switched me onto Lantus Solostar this week after months of not getting my numbers below 200 (I was diagnosed in 2007 with type 2). I was apprehensive at first but after doing it 5 times now I must admit that it has been a great success. It's not a magic bullet (i.e. I can't eat what I want) but my numbers are below 200 every day.

I live in Bangkok. The doctor arranged for me to meet with a nurse to show me the injection process. All was ok. The nurse didn't speak any English (which is fine) but my Thai wasn't quite good enough. My wife was there to translate what I couldn't understand but something got lost in translation: How many times can I use the same needle (they only gave me 5 needles)?

Thanks

Mick

NewdestinyX

bkkMick said:
Hi

My doctor switched me onto Lantus Solostar this week after months of not getting my numbers below 200 (I was diagnosed in 2007 with type 2). I was apprehensive at first but after doing it 5 times now I must admit that it has been a great success. It's not a magic bullet (i.e. I can't eat what I want) but my numbers are below 200 every day.

I live in Bangkok. The doctor arranged for me to meet with a nurse to show me the injection process. All was ok. The nurse didn't speak any English (which is fine) but my Thai wasn't quite good enough. My wife was there to translate what I couldn't understand but something got lost in translation: How many times can I use the same needle (they only gave me 5 needles)?

Thanks

Mick
I use the same needle for DAYS! Until I start to feel the pin prick which means its getting dull. 4-6 days usually.

bkkMick

Dislikes
Chemotherapy. Just finished it.
Thanks for the answer. I finally swapped the needle last night after 7 days. I could feel it the previous night. I think 5 or 6 will be enough.

All the best

JimArmstrong

My numbers were always high. high teens and into the 20's at times. meds no longer worked. I am on Lantus at night and humolog before meals. numbers dropped big time. H1AC went from 10.3 to 7.1 in 2 months. Best thing ever going to the needle.

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
When I was diagnosed Type 1 3 years ago my BG was 63 !! I was very ill with kidneys and sight beginning to fail. I was put straight on to injections (Novorapid and Levemir) so I didn't have time to worry about needles. I knew I had to inject myself to stay alive. Now I do it as second nature. Before all this happened I was terrified of needles and got into a terrible state if I had to have a blood test !!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Carrot

Dislikes
Me, myself and I
Despite the fact that you feel bad - no particular reason but feel like that, you will realize that in long term period this will give you freedom and flexibility. I'm on medication and injections from the very beginning - almost 30 years. :D Do not go down.

Reactions: 2 people

blackcat79

Ive just gone on to insulin long lasting in the am and aprida b4 meals im type 2 im on meds too n my BS r still low 20s n high teens low carb diet too. Think my injections will b increased. Not the quick fix i thought it would be but still early days i guess.

liltrux

Ive been on injections for 3 months now and wished Id done it long ago I feel better I have better control over my blood glucose . I went to my gp yesterday for the results of a blood test and a check up my blood glucose was down to the best its been for 6 years cholesterol was 3.8 (good) and Ive lost just over 2 amd a half stone in 4 months . I was initially worried about hypos Ive not had one and have been able to keep my morning levels between 4&7 (usually around 4.8) most days Id say go for it its the best thing Ive done John :)

mike5360

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
fish and based products
I'm reading a lot about carb counting, what is carb counting? I am reluctant to google it, would sooner find out from real people.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Coconut, the most vile substance known to mankind. people who only see things in black and white.
I was reasonably pleased, as I was expecting much worse. The needles are so slim and small it's not so bad .... Some of the time .... I don't like the "stinging" sensation you sometimes get. Plus (in my case) my first injections were Byetta and I was told "you may have some nausea for a while", ho hum, a while being nearly a year and it wasn't pleasant, but I guess that may just be me, I lost a lot of weight taking it though.

Steve

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on injections for a few years and although I don't have a problem with it I do find it quite painful. I use 6mm needles, but I do bruise badly and tend to come up in bumps all the time. I've asked the nurse for advice to see whether I'm injecting wrong but she said no my technique was fine. So if anybody has any ideas please let me know!

If I were speaking to someone who was on the verge of going onto injections - I'd say do it - it's not that bad - as said above pricking you're finger is worse!

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm reading a lot about carb counting, what is carb counting? I am reluctant to google it, would sooner find out from real people.

Controlling the grams of carbohydrate you eat, which means knowing how much is in the foods you eat.

Avoiding things like cereal, bread, chips, crisps, cake, potato etc helps reduce your intake.

lizbet9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had gestational diabetes first and was worried about injecting but knew I had to do what was best for the baby! My diabetes went away after my daughter was born but 12 months later was back and soon had to start on insulin - didn't feel too bad as I had donr it before - at the end of the day I wasn't to ditsy well for my family!

MarkTechArc72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High BG readings!
As part of our Diabetes Week questions, here's a question for people with type 2 diabetes who have gone onto injections -or are considering going onto injections.

How did (or do) you feel about switching onto injections?

Did/do you have any worries about going onto injections?
If/when you made the switch, how did you adapt to being on injections?
- was it easier or harder than you thought?
- was there any part of it that struck which you hadn't considered before going onto injections?

This question covers injections for insulin or for incretin mimetics like Byetta, Victoza and Bydureon

I was very reticent to move to injections of insulin, as I genuinely felt that I was sliding down a very steep and slippery road to ill health and death! I know that sounds irrational, but it is what I had in my mind, clearly informed by my own ignorance and completely wrong view of insulin.

I started on Lantus about a year ago, and despite a lot of reservations, I have to say that until recently, this has 100% helped me get my BG under control. I had been clinging to the notion of tablets doing the job, but in the end, by stats were showing everyone (except me) that my numbers were too high, and I had no option.

My worries were:-

- My life was going to change forever - yes it has, but not in a bad way, but in a good way, in that I know that my BG is better managed.
- I would be embarrassed to inject if out and about - again, unfounded. Get yourself a good high quality carry kit, with the appropriate sections for pen, needles, monitor and strips, and just take yourself off to the loo and test/inject.
- I was concerned that the injections were difficult or would hurt - I use 0.5mm needles with my pen, and apart from occasionally hitting a small vein and causing a slight bleed, or the occasional "stingy" injection, I have found on the whole it to be pretty simple and painless.

Adding everything up, I have no regrets moving to injections, they have helped me keep my BGs down, and they could for you too.

I personally have experienced through friends, that the insulin mimic products, such as Victoza, which I believe are synthesized products, caused a lot of side effects. Would be worth investigating before you see your GP/Diabetic Practioner. My GP wanted to put my on Victoza, but when I checked it out, and discussed with my Diabetic Practitioner, we agreed an alernative path.

Good luck and nothing to be concerned about - and remember - never use a needle twice, always inject at different sites, and remember to test regularly to check your numbers!

musiclover58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just been advised to go onto insulin and it scares me and I too bruise easily I really am not looking forward to it but have been assured it will be better for my blood sugars