How did you feel about switching onto injections?

Roger Hughes

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
some MP's, Clinical Commissioning Groups's, Northern Rail Staff Leeds Station, migrant drivers
I had not the slightest problem when moved onto insulin, simple really a very small needle and a pen just stick it in and off we go, no really I understood that I needed to go on to insulin both Glargine and Nova Rapid, simple to use but only if you have a meter, then it becomes second nature inject then eat, I used the book on Carbs and Cals from Amazon, always with me when I am about to eat, yes it can be depressing when the morning numbers are high but you then have to understand how to change your background insulin to compensate,

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government Leaders who feel they are the owner of ME.
As part of our Diabetes Week questions, here's a question for people with type 2 diabetes who have gone onto injections -or are considering going onto injections.

How did (or do) you feel about switching onto injections?

Did/do you have any worries about going onto injections?
If/when you made the switch, how did you adapt to being on injections?
- was it easier or harder than you thought?
- was there any part of it that struck which you hadn't considered before going onto injections?

This question covers injections for insulin or for incretin mimetics like Byetta, Victoza and Bydureon

I hated having any injections, i am also on Warferin so used to have go to hospital at least every fortnight to have needle stuck in a vein and at 63 it never got any easier.
Anyway changed GP surgery and no more needles in the arm just blood from finger.
Went onto the insulin pen after being a good boy and getting a smartie from the nurse lol, anyway the pen is nothing like a conventional needle, and very short in length hardly notice it at all.

Tessybear

I was put on Victoza 2 years ago as my blood sugar would not settle even after a spell in hospital, they settled for about 12 months and the suddenly started to rocket out of control again, now I'm on Victoza, Insulin & plus tablets, my bloods are starting to settle again now

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lamia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was swiching onto insulin 4 years ago when i was pregnant i was scared of that because i hate injection in general but i had to but i used to it now espcialy with the pen

Reactions: 2 people

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well been a type 1 on 4 injections a day my partner is type 2 on victoza i injection per morning / a pill. what a difference that injection has made to his diabetes at first he wasnt so sure about injections but hes watched me taking injections so he knew what it entailed.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went onto Byetta for a while. It was like a magic bullet to start with but then sugars started to go up again, so 6months later I was prescribed Glyclazide as well as the Metformin which had been continued with whilst on the Byetta and the injections stopped.
Injecting myself didn't worry me. But I did get lumps in the fat below my tummy button where I injected. Also I went through phases when the injection sites really itched!
I say go with the flow and don't get too hung up on injections. A positive mindset is important with a can do attitude. Then be prepared to be flexible with treatment. Things work differently for different people. Steph

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I am so bothered about going on to insulin. I am just not sure how to count the carbs. Hopefully I shall be on Glyclazide for a while yet.

patticat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nosey, unkind and intolerant people; mushy-textured, doughy food
Been T2 since 2001; took pills Actos and something else I can't remember now until 2006. They tried me on Metformin from the outset and two or three times after that, but I was never able to take it, as I had severe reactions to it. In 2006 almost died from an Addison's attack (which is an endocrine problem), at which time my endocrine doctor put me on insulin, due to my having three endocrine diseases (low thyroid since 1988, diabetes and now Addison's), and he said it would be too hard to control the diabetes with just pills in this situation. Was really hesitant about doing so, as I also had heard it was a "death sentence" for T2 diabetic. However, I would have to say it helped me control my T2. I wasn't fond of having to do the shots, as had to do shots for severe allergies a number of years before and got to the place where I could no longer "stick" myself. I actually broke the needle off in my leg and stopped doing the shots. Fortunately, moving away from Houston, Texas, took care of the allergy situation. So I managed to do the insulin shots pretty easily it turned out, and my doctor and a diabetes program dietician taught me how to properly adjust my insulin as needed for hypo and hyper glucose readings and to use a low-carb diet. All-in-all, I have managed to control my T2 pretty well using Humalog (quick acting med) before each meal and Lantus (long acting med) morning and evening.

judy.suirane

Was really upset initially but after two months am getting used to it. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I'm 59 yrs old and have been followed with type 2 for 15 years. Tried diet control but recently was 9.6 a1c doctor put me on humulin first then lantus(allergic) and now levemir 20 units at bedtime. Good morning sugars supper time is a bit high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nok1888

I hated the thought that my body was packing in to the extent of needing to inject but doesn't really bother me now. I got started on metformin slow release as well and my insulin has dropped 50 units a day so good news all round. Only on 80 units twice a day now

JBrown2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All these cakes in the shop and I cant have any
Was not looking forward to it at all, but after a time or two I got used to it, now its just a daily occurrence.

S

skyking

I'd love to go on Insulin as Metformin is causing me kidney problems but my nurse says I am too old and the doctor agrees.Also to get a decent HBA1C 7.1 my diet is extremely boring.
I'm 65, I use Lantus (slow acting insulin) 45 units each evening plus some tablets in the morning. A1C is 6.8

chris9996

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Vegetables
I am always against Injections. If you once started to take injection you can't switch to medicine again. :(

That is not so Samantha. My brother was diagnosed T2 when he was 58, put onto insulin the following year, only on it for 2 years and is now back on tablets. His control is fantastic, so there is light at the end of the tunnel :D

Tezmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dramas, back stabbing, gossips.
After 11 years on Glucophage I've moved onto Lantus. I have injected myself in the past so that wasn't an issue. For me I felt I'd failed and Lantus was my punishment. Luckily I have an amazing diabetic nurse who helped me accept it because now 6 weeks later I feel better than I have in years!

patticat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nosey, unkind and intolerant people; mushy-textured, doughy food
carbo said:
I'd love to go on Insulin as Metformin is causing me kidney problems but my nurse says I am too old and the doctor agrees. Also to get a decent HBA1C 7.1 my diet is extremely boring.

Carbo, I also am 65 and am on Humalog insulin before each meal and Lantus long-lasting insulin in the morning and evening, and I have learned to cook some very flavorful and enjoyable low-carb meals with the help of my Everday Health diabetic newsletter and cooking shows. My HBA1C generally runs about 6.5 or lower.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I look at it pills, insulin, lifestyle change as none being bad or worse than the other but what is the most affective way(s) to control your BGs levels with the minimal complications. Right now for me it is insulin