How do fluctuating sugars make you feel?

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
It depends. If I’m over 15mmol/l for more than about 30min I feel tired and horrible. Under 3mmol/l and after correction I feel hung over and sick

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @briony1, ups and downs are the pits. And one can easily follow the other, as in the BSL see-saw. A hypo leads to a rebound up in BSL (due to adrenaline and glucagon release causing release of glucose from the liver plus glucose from what we eat to combat the hypo). The high resulting BSL we then try to thump down with perhaps excessive correction doses of short-acting insulin, leading to another hypo etc etc etc. The result: sick, sluggish, brain hurts, more and more washing of sweat-soaked clothes etc, nausea. Please, please stop the merry-go-round or see-saw !!!

pab99c

Interested to hear other people’s experiences!

Grim!

Below 4.4 and I’m shaky. Above 10 and I can get a headache. Even higher and I feel utterly pants for a while even if get back to normal levels. Takes me about 30+ mins to get over a hypo if I go too low.

But if I do a double bounce it can wipe me out through exhaustion. I.e. too low, drink sugar and over correct, go too high, then inject too much to correct again and hypo again. If I bounce like this over a couple of hours my body is ruined for hours!

Luckily that’s not an every day occurrence!

Paul.

Reactions: Knikki
K

Knikki

HMMMM 4.0 or below, depends on how below 4 then OK if a bit spaced but easily solved.

High, feel like I have been run over by a horse and then the horse came back around for a third time.

Reactions: porl69 and therower

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My endocrinologist believes that I had fluctuating blood levels for about five years before diagnosis.
I had no idea!
But I knew something else was happening to me other then the (mis)diagnosis of T2.
I was in a hell of a mess, my head was in constant headache behind the eyes, blurred vision, forgetfulness, memory loss, tired in the brain and body, fatigue through my muscles, often napping or sleeping, aches, pains, hot and sweaty, anger, rage, frustration, itchy, anxiety ruled my every decision and answer.
I wanted to be alone, not even family and friends, I lost my passion for the sport I love and would hate to do anything, doubting myself, always trying not to face my life as it was!
I felt awful and until I met my endocrinologist and had a hypo in front of him, only the GP that referred me, not one of them had a clue what was going on.
I can't remember much of that time, maybe, it is a good thing. But I missed a lot of birthdays, Christmas and other celebrations because of my memory loss.
I would not wish that time on my worst enemy!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate it when I'm at work, I'm busy doing something and then suddenly I will feel a flutter, a quick check and sometimes it's well below 4 but at other times it is in the 5's! It makes me think my body is taking the p and that I just can't trust it! I must test well over 10 times at work.

Reactions: pab99c

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I don't understand the gradual -12 yrs- memory lapse, without really being aware; also anything under 6 or 5 bs gives me chest pain, so I would rather be at 6 and high. Mysterious stuff; any endocrinologist know?

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Under 4 and im shaky and nauseated and very hot. Over 12 i get a headache, im freezing and i get so tired!! Over 15+ i start to feel very ill.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stressed. Very stressed.

Like i want to scream kind of stressed.

Very high blood sugars (above 15) result in me being very thirsty and nauseous and exhausted. Low blood sugars (starting around 4.5ish) i get very dizzy, twitchy and have hot sweats. Swinging from one to the other feels like a major hormone imbalance and i start feeling stressed and anxious. I've noticed i do become a lot less... irritable when my bgs are better controlled!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
It’s one of the things non T1, or T whatever using insulin, will just never get. Alongside the heavy, headachey malaise of a high or the shaky, weary brain strike of a low I sometimes feel an unkind desire to transfer the physical symptoms to people who expect me to function as ‘normal’.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s one of the things non T1, or T whatever using insulin, will just never get. Alongside the heavy, headachey malaise of a high or the shaky, weary brain strike of a low I sometimes feel an unkind desire to transfer the physical symptoms to people who expect me to function as ‘normal’.
You have an amazing way with words! I think everyone will probably agree with this.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
FB_IMG_1572895803015.jpg

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate it when I'm at work, I'm busy doing something and then suddenly I will feel a flutter, a quick check and sometimes it's well below 4 but at other times it is in the 5's! It makes me think my body is taking the p and that I just can't trust it! I must test well over 10 times at work.

Got to agree with the above. At work I am constantly using my Libre to check BG. same when I am out and about, constantly checking. Whereas when at home I am fairly relaxed even at BG of around 3.5

I tend to do a bit of walking in far flung isolated places, where I may not see anyone for hours. Even if my BG is + 10 I can convince myself in my head that my BG is low.

if I do go really low when out and about I will do a complete sugar overdose. None of this eat 2 jelly babies or a couple of glucose tablets. its a bottle of coke, handfuls of jelly babies etc. Afterwards though I will get a sore head

I get very irritable and snappy when my blood sugars are low; as all I can think about is treating it, and thereby get sensory overload when people talk to me or need me to respond.

With higher blood sugars I tend to get rather emotional, and more prone to tears. However, I could also easily tap into hyper behaviour.

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been riding the hyperglycemia wave all day today (above 22) and I have no symptoms! This has been my avg. daily reading for a few weeks now. I am sooooooo over this dia-bully beating! :banghead: I think my body is used to these hypers....hence, the lack of symptoms :arghh: :dead: I think I need help!!??