How do I get what Theresa's got?

lynbrown

I am T2 on Novorapid and Lantus insulin and tablets. I have had 2 hypos in the past 12 hours, I really seem to be getting worse at working out how much insulin I need to inject. Is there any chance I could have the small container that Theresa has on her arm, which feeds her insulin as and when it is needed?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I am T2 on Novorapid and Lantus insulin and tablets. I have had 2 hypos in the past 12 hours, I really seem to be getting worse at working out how much insulin I need to inject. Is there any chance I could have the small container that Theresa has on her arm, which feeds her insulin as and when it is needed?

It's a sensor to read glucose levels. The sensor can be scanned by a monitor or even a smartphone to provide a graph showing change in levels through the day.

Google freestyle libre to find out more.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The small round white thing on her arm is a Freestyle Libre - its a blood glucose monitoring device not a device that gives insulin.
Edit: I type too slow :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others. It is a blood glucose monitoring sensor. If you want a device that feeds insulin into the system, you need a pump. You can ask your diabetes team about these.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with the others. It is a blood glucose monitoring sensor. If you want a device that feeds insulin into the system, you need a pump. You can ask your diabetes team about these.
Though with a pump you have to work out what you need, it will not do everything for you.
@lynbrown you should ask your DN/consultant for advice and see if you can get yourself on a carb counting course (if you haven't already been on one) if you're having problems knowing how much insulin to take.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Take on a completely impossible task and fail. :angelic:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I agree with everyone - you need to speak to your diabetes team about a carb counting course which may help you in adjusting dosages for different carbs. As for Theresa May, she is wearing a freestyle libre sensor and you can talk to your consultant about it and an insulin pump. With a pump, you'll need to know how to carb count precisely and correctly, so a carb counting course will help with that.