Type 1 How do I go about a second opinion?

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve received some devastating news in the past few weeks about my bladder. I was catheterised in January this year and they’ve now told me they can’t find anything wrong as my kidneys/ovaries/bladder/urine is all “normal” but your bladder doesn’t just stop working at 23 years old. I can still go to the toilet when I bypass or my catheter comes out accidentally. I want a second opinion but I don’t know how to go about it. I have an email for a secretary at another hospitals urology department. Do I email them? Or do I have to contact the urology department at my current hospital about a second opinion?? I’m 23 and I really don’t want to wear a catheter my whole life as I’m worried I will do something I may regret.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve received some devastating news in the past few weeks about my bladder. I was catheterised in January this year and they’ve now told me they can’t find anything wrong as my kidneys/ovaries/bladder/urine is all “normal” but your bladder doesn’t just stop working at 23 years old. I can still go to the toilet when I bypass or my catheter comes out accidentally. I want a second opinion but I don’t know how to go about it. I have an email for a secretary at another hospitals urology department. Do I email them? Or do I have to contact the urology department at my current hospital about a second opinion?? I’m 23 and I really don’t want to wear a catheter my whole life as I’m worried I will do something I may regret.

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having problems.
Can you clarify? "Ovaries" are normal... You appear to be listed on the forum as "male.??"

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alex_B One option for a second opinion is to go private, you will at least be listened to and given a little bit of time. There are private hospitals and clinics across the country, where you can usually see a private GP, who will forward you to a private consultant, if needed. Google private hospitals / Nuffield Hospitals / BUPA hospitals / private GP's for your area.
Another option is to return to your own NHS GP and simply say that you want a second opinion and/or to discuss the situation you find yourself in. It could be that your GP can explain things to you, or that s/he agrees that having someone else take a look might be a good idea.
A lot of things have gone wrong with NHS treatment this year, long delays, no joined up thinking. Trying to catch up with overdue treatments. Applies to private care too.
good luck,
Sally

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having problems.
Can you clarify? "Ovaries" are normal... You appear to be listed on the forum as "male.??"
I go by male pronouns online but I’m biologically a female, sorry for the confusion

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Alex_B - Under the terms of the NHS you are entitled to a second opinion (on the NHS). That second opinion can be with a named consultant, and does not need to be in your area. You can be referred out of area if that is your choice. I was told this by my GP after an unsatisfactory with a consultant, where he didn't seem interested in my symptoms.

In order to move things forward, my GP asked me to decide whom I wanted to see, and let her know. When I had decided, she simply sent off the referral and it went from there.

In your shoes, I'd have a think about who I wanted to see, and ask my GP to facilitate it.

Reactions: Alex_B