How do I know which foods to avoid?

poppyowner

Hi all

Can you help?

The other day I decided to test my blood before meals and 2 hours after meals.
I found that before Breakfast I was 6.7 then after a Banana - 2 hours later I was 8.3 . I thought this a big jump so to double check - 2 days later again I tested before breakfast ( 6.0) and after a Banana (2 hours later) it was 6.4 . NOT such a substantial rise. IF the amounts are not consistent then how am I supposed to use this as a guide as to what to eat and what not to eat?

PLEASE HELP as this has made me question the importance of self testing.

How do I know what foods make me 'spike' and which don't?

Jill

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Jill,I would suggest getting the Collins Gem carb counter book and then you will be able to work out the things that affect your blood sugars.Bananas are quite high in carbs and that's why you had the spike!!

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Jill,

The size and the ripeness of the banana will vary its effects on your blood sugars.
Even your levels of physical activity the previous day can affect post-breakfast results.

You might also want to try a few tests at 1 hour after a meal, as this can sometimes
reveal spikes that a +2 test will miss.

Regards,
timo.

poppyowner

SO IF I do the 1 hour readings - should the rise from before meal reading be the same on every day as if it can change frequently with exercise etc how do I know it is the food affecting me and not circumstances? I don't see the point (s'cuse the pun) of pricking my finger regularly if no reading 'jump' is the same from one day to the next - I could choose a bad day and see a big leap like the first day then avoid that food like the plague but for no real reason as when checked 2 days later the jump was nowhere near so high.....

CONFUSED.com!!!

Jill

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
You will never get the same reading as there are so many variables.

If you consistently get a low 'spike' from certain foods then you can probably safely assume you can tolerate the carbs ?
I know that for me a Banana is definitely out as it consistently gave me a high reading. We are all different.

Ken

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi inwales.

All meters marked with a CE logo are all built to exacting EU standards. Your meter instruction booklet usually gives the ranges at which they are certified accurate.

There are numerous posts on here about the accuracy of blood glucose testing meters. Do a search on the site and you will find them all.

Bettter still they are all here:
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&keywords=meter+%2Baccuracy

Ken.

broxiebear1

hi jill i dont know much as i am new to this but i have just sent for a book from readers digest ,what foods are good and bad for you; also if you go to there website there is one about blood sugars but its 27 pounds

Spiral

I have recently been focusing on testing 1 hour after meals :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have found that portion size can affect these readings too as can time of the day.

Test, teast, test, that is how you find out.

And check out www.bloodsugar101.com

poppyowner

Thanks for all the postings.

What is the maximum for a GOOD spike for your blood to raise - meaning that you can tolerate the food being tested? What spike makes it a BAD one and a food to avoid?

Jill

lucati

Dislikes
Marmite!
How quickly your glucose levels rise is essentially down to the glycaemic index (GI), or the rate at which the body breaks down and digests the carbs you eat. Basically the higher the GI of the food, the faster your body absorbs the carbs in that food. A ripe banana will have a higher GI than an unripe banana, for example. Ideally you want to have meals with a medium to low overall GI, so your glucose levels do not rise too quickly after eating.

The GI range of any food with carbs will be between 0-100, where glucose has a GI of 100.

As one previous post mentioned, perhaps the banana which caused a higher glucose level was riper, or perhaps you did less exercise?

It's important that you know about GI and the effect it has, especially since you are a diabetic, so here are a few links for you to check out:

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_informatio ... ealth.html
http://www.diabetes.org.au/gi.pdf (requires Adobe Acrobat)
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/DI ... tables.htm (not just for losing weight, it's a useful article for diabetics too)

Hope that helps!