how do i work out background insulins

manda pops

Dislikes
spiders, football, topgear
Hi guys,

i was wondering what types of background people are on, and what time is best to take it.

i am on humulin i twice a day but currently taking at 10pm and 7 am.

trying to get it right, having a few dios during the day then by 9 pm my sugar just keeps rising and rising and im about 15 in the morning.

does anyone think taking the evening dose earlier could help this? why is this so difficult to get right?

thanks peeps x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm on lantus once day and inject the dose around 6-7pm. Not clued-up on Humulin insulin but there's no harm in trying to take it earlier if you think that might help, do you not have a phone number for your diabetes clinic where you can ring the DSN and ask for advice?

manda pops

Dislikes
spiders, football, topgear
hi,

we i email her alot but i think theres days shes not around. to be honnest i think she gets fed up with me constantly contacting here i feel alone with this. all i want is to have stable sugar without this constant worry.

im scared to make the descision of taking it earlier as unsure if i should take the same ammount or if i will hypo x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
manda pops said:
hi,

we i email her alot but i think theres days shes not around. to be honnest i think she gets fed up with me constantly contacting here i feel alone with this. all i want is to have stable sugar without this constant worry.

im scared to make the descision of taking it earlier as unsure if i should take the same ammount or if i will hypo x

Ring the hospital and ask to be put through to the diabetes clinic and ask the secretary if one of the DSN's can ring you back when available, if you don't here anything by the end of the day ring them again and again until they do, you should never feel alone as that's what the clinic is there for to assist you when you need help. Ring them this afternoon!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I note that youe are on both Levemir and Novorapid according to your profile but presumably the Levemir was changed to Humulin? My understanding is that you should aim for a fasting blood sugar of between 5 & 7 in the morning. As you say you are much higher it implies that your Humulin dose isn't high enough? You need to get this right independently of the Rapid. Do get the support of a DN if you can. If you can't get that support then you might consider very small increases of the Humulin leaving a few days each time and measuring you sugars during the night if possible to both avoid hypos and to see the effect. Note that some diabetics have sugars that yo-yo a lot and if you are one of those I'm afraid I'm not the best person to offer advice. BTW I'm on Levemir once a day and normally take 9 units at 11pm and have a fasting level of between 4.5 and 5.5. I'm lucky as my sugars are fairly predictable.