How do some people lower their HbA1c's so drastically on diagnosis of type 2?

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
I constantly see these very high numbers listed followed a few months later with numbers down in the 30's and wonder how it's done. If it can be done so [apparently] easily and so quickly I wonder why people don't get their BG under control before a diagnosis. Once diagnosed isn't it a case of always a type 2 - just better controlled? I presume that many of these people will have lost a lot of weight and gone low carb in order to achieve these results. But not all of us are overweight and although we will be consuming more carbs than we probably realise.

I had an HbA1c of 43 in October and was told to have another test in a year. I have well controlled high blood pressure which is why I have an annual routine full blood test. I think the HbA1c was borderline about 5 years ago but nobody bothered until it went over the 42 mark, except the GP at that time said the number would rise and he would put me on metformin when it got close to 50.
Now it has risen and I'm finding it quite hard to lower my carbs as although I would like to lose a few kilos that is really all. I'm 5ft 8ins and weigh 9 stone and a size 10 in clothes, so really quite slim. Certainly I do eat a lot of fruit and I know that is full of carbs but I don't do low fat dairy, cereals, fizzy drinks and the usual suspects, and I do walk daily with the dog. I have a glucose monitor but rather feel I'm messing with it although fasting measurements are nearly all around 6.5> which I feel is a little high. It was suggested that I ask for another blood test in March and feel things will not have improved [may in fact have got worse] by then.

I really don't want to drift into diabetes and realise I should do something now but just cutting fruit down won't do enough I feel. What to do?.

Reactions: cristis

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I was TOFI on diagnosis and had none of the classic symptoms of T2. I had never been tested with the HbA1c. I have never had a problem with bp or thyroid. My high result was found through the MOT that a locum GP suggested (and I firmly beleive that he ordered this set of tests purely because of the lipid panel results that would give the opportunity to get yet another patient on statins). So, as to your question as to why people do not address their T2 before a formal diagnosis then it may be because they are totally unaware.
I reduced my A1c fairly quickly through diet and with Metformin.
As to your question about 'drifting' into T2, you test and you know that lowering your intake of fruit may help so why not try that? Please be aware that as we age the body cannot compensate as well as it once did.

Reactions: Biggles2

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think it is easy and by looking just at HBA1C you don't see the full story.

There is low carb for weight loss and there is low carb for prediabetes/type 2 control. These two often get confused but people do maintain or gain on a low carb diet.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I constantly see these very high numbers listed followed a few months later with numbers down in the 30's and wonder how it's done. If it can be done so [apparently] easily and so quickly I wonder why people don't get their BG under control before a diagnosis. Once diagnosed isn't it a case of always a type 2 - just better controlled? I presume that many of these people will have lost a lot of weight and gone low carb in order to achieve these results. But not all of us are overweight and although we will be consuming more carbs than we probably realise.

Firstly most of us have been led to believe that we have a lifelong condition that will only grow progressively worse...that has been the general and common experience over the last 4 decades or so. Few considered the possibility that the prevailing dietary recommendations and treatment options for T2D are less than optimal or actually misdirected.

Here's some of my views and experience in dramatically lowering my HbA1c and maintaining it for the past 2 years...
https://myhba1c.wordpress.com/2016/09/03/turning-mountains-into-molehills/

Many millions are still waiting to discover how easy it can be to regain our health...it need not be as challenging as scaling the mountain that it has been made out to be...

Reactions: Guzzler

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @gardengnome42,

A really interesting questions, which I really often wondered about myself.

Personally, I was diagnosed with an HbA1c of 100, which definitely was very high. I had the usual symptoms, but gather that I really didn't want to know, so avoided going to the doctor to get diagnosed. I realize this wasn't the best attitude to have -- but here it is.

When I was eventually diagnosed (in hospital due to DVT and PE, which was probably partially caused by high blood sugars), I started searching the internet, reading everything I could find. An extremely helpful site I found was www.plaunt.com (as suggested by @NoCrbs4Me). This was the first glimpse of hope that we didn't passively have to accept diabetes, but that we can proactively do something about this.

I started eating low carb and started exercising regularly. My next HbA1c came in at non-diabetic levels with a result of 34. I did lose some weight in the first three months (about 10 kg), but I wasn't massively overweight.

Why didn't I change anything before? The answer simply is because I didn't know. Diabetes is generally protrayed as a lifelong progressive disease, little mention is made of the role of carbs. So, I did drink a lot of fruit juices (among other things) before diagnosis and actually thought this was healthy. I also enjoyed the many different types of bread and never realized that they raise blood sugars.

Reactions: Arlmy

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
I was TOFI on diagnosis and had none of the classic symptoms of T2. I had never been tested with the HbA1c. I have never had a problem with bp or thyroid. My high result was found through the MOT that a locum GP suggested (and I firmly beleive that he ordered this set of tests purely because of the lipid panel results that would give the opportunity to get yet another patient on statins). So, as to your question as to why people do not address their T2 before a formal diagnosis then it may be because they are totally unaware.
As to your question about 'drifting' into T2, you test and you know that lowering your intake of fruit may help so why not try that? Please be aware that as we age the body cannot compensate as well as it once did.

Interesting reply Guzzler, thank you. Do you put your Hba1c reduction down to the way you eat or the metformin, or both. Will you stop the metformin do you think? Like you I also fell victim to a MOT thanks to a slightly high cholesterol test and like you I felt I was being trapped into taking statins. I was of course 'offered' them as they are obliged to do with a Qrisk of over 10%. And given that that goes up annually by the time you reach 75 you're sunk. I refused them though. I remember the nurse at the time sounding rather disappointed that the diabetes test had come back negative and her excitement when she found I had high blood pressure. She told me I should be grateful for having it discovered but actually I felt angry and wished I'd never had the MOT. She was so effing patronising !!
I am thinking that the LCHF way of eating might be a better way of living than the 8 week blood sugar diet which I was feeling was the way to go. That seems so complicated and aimed at people who have a lot of weight to lose. I suspect I am also a TOFI and that my age is probably an issue as well, so really I ought just to cut back on the fruit. A shame as I do love it and we are all told how good it is for us. 5 a day etc.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
so really I ought just to cut back on the fruit. A shame as I do love it and we are all told how good it is for us. 5 a day etc.
You can still eat berries. I love strawberries and have them with full fat yoghurt, double cream, sugar free jelly or just naked but cut into small pieces so that it looks like a plateful and takes longer to eat!

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
Hi @gardengnome42,

A really interesting questions, which I really often wondered about myself.

Personally, I was diagnosed with an HbA1c of 100, which definitely was very high. I had the usual symptoms, but gather that I really didn't want to know, so avoided going to the doctor to get diagnosed. I realize this wasn't the best attitude to have -- but here it is.

When I was eventually diagnosed (in hospital due to DVT and PE, which was probably partially caused by high blood sugars), I started searching the internet, reading everything I could find. An extremely helpful site I found was www.plaunt.com (as suggested by @NoCrbs4Me). This was the first glimpse of hope that we didn't passively have to accept diabetes, but that we can proactively do something about this.

I started eating low carb and started exercising regularly. My next HbA1c came in at non-diabetic levels with a result of 34. I did lose some weight in the first three months (about 10 kg), but I wasn't massively overweight.

Why didn't I change anything before? The answer simply is because I didn't know. Diabetes is generally protrayed as a lifelong progressive disease, little mention is made of the role of carbs. So, I did drink a lot of fruit juices (among other things) before diagnosis and actually thought this was healthy. I also enjoyed the many different types of bread and never realized that they raise blood sugars.
Like you I also never realised how many carbs are in fruit [my downfall] and also even seemingly small amounts of bread were not a good idea. I was always aware that bread, rice etc were carbs and made you fat, never realising they would lead to diabetes as well. We have all been brainwashed over the past 40 years into eating low fat and high carb whereas the exact opposite would have been a better idea.
I have read quite a lot of phlaunts blogs and they really are helpful, as also is the wordpress link from kokhongw. So much help on the internet as well.

Reactions: ziggy_w

sunburst69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I had an HbA1c of 43 in October and was told to have another test in a year. I have well controlled high blood pressure which is why I have an annual routine full blood test. I think the HbA1c was borderline about 5 years ago but nobody bothered until it went over the 42 mark, except the GP at that time said the number would rise and he would put me on metformin when it got close to 50.
Now it has risen and I'm finding it quite hard to lower my carbs as although I would like to lose a few kilos that is really all. I'm 5ft 8ins and weigh 9 stone and a size 10 in clothes, so really quite slim. Certainly I do eat a lot of fruit and I know that is full of carbs but I don't do low fat dairy, cereals, fizzy drinks and the usual suspects, and I do walk daily with the dog. I have a glucose monitor but rather feel I'm messing with it although fasting measurements are nearly all around 6.5> which I feel is a little high. It was suggested that I ask for another blood test in March and feel things will not have improved [may in fact have got worse] by then.

I really don't want to drift into diabetes and realise I should do something now but just cutting fruit down won't do enough I feel. What to do?.
I am a type 2 who does not need to lose weight. If I gained a bit it would be okay. The low carb diet, first and foremost, helps me have better BG control and I don't lose weight on it. Exchanging carbs for good fat and protein is the objective. Your body converts fat into energy instead of relying on just carbs if you limit the carbs available. The diet can be tailored to your weight objectives. Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you convert fat to muscle (more or better toned muscle helps BG) you can actually gain weight.

Reactions: gardengnome42

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Interesting reply Guzzler, thank you. Do you put your Hba1c reduction down to the way you eat or the metformin, or both. Will you stop the metformin do you think? Like you I also fell victim to a MOT thanks to a slightly high cholesterol test and like you I felt I was being trapped into taking statins. I was of course 'offered' them as they are obliged to do with a Qrisk of over 10%. And given that that goes up annually by the time you reach 75 you're sunk. I refused them though. I remember the nurse at the time sounding rather disappointed that the diabetes test had come back negative and her excitement when she found I had high blood pressure. She told me I should be grateful for having it discovered but actually I felt angry and wished I'd never had the MOT. She was so effing patronising !!
I am thinking that the LCHF way of eating might be a better way of living than the 8 week blood sugar diet which I was feeling was the way to go. That seems so complicated and aimed at people who have a lot of weight to lose. I suspect I am also a TOFI and that my age is probably an issue as well, so really I ought just to cut back on the fruit. A shame as I do love it and we are all told how good it is for us. 5 a day etc.

I put my lowered A1c down to diet by 99%, the other 1% by Metformin. I cannot excercise so that doesn't figure in my sums. I shall carry on taking metformin as it curbs liver dumps and because I had/have no side effects from it.
As to the 8 week Blood Sugar Diet if I knew on diagnosis what I know now then I would have done the BSD and used the 8 weeks to gently remove carbs as I was doing it to end up on LCHF but I did not do that, against advice given by members I jumped into LCHF too quickly at the begining and suffered carb flu which is quite unpleasant. But I am here now a few months later with fingers crossed that my next A1c might show non Diabetic numbers.

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
I put my lowered A1c down to diet by 99%, the other 1% by Metformin. I cannot excercise so that doesn't figure in my sums. I shall carry on taking metformin as it curbs liver dumps and because I had/have no side effects from it.
As to the 8 week Blood Sugar Diet if I knew on diagnosis what I know now then I would have done the BSD and used the 8 weeks to gently remove carbs as I was doing it to end up on LCHF but I did not do that, against advice given by members I jumped into LCHF too quickly at the begining and suffered carb flu which is quite unpleasant. But I am here now a few months later with fingers crossed that my next A1c might show non Diabetic numbers.

I think I must study both the LCHF and the 8 week BSDiet more thoroughly. As far as I can make out it is all about losing weight rather than lowering blood sugar. I have really become far too complacent and I suppose am in denial that this should be happening to me at all. Your comment "If I knew on diagnosis what I know now..." is hitting home. If I'm not careful I will find the A1c has risen not dropped!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I must study both the LCHF and the 8 week BSDiet more thoroughly. As far as I can make out it is all about losing weight rather than lowering blood sugar. I have really become far too complacent and I suppose am in denial that this should be happening to me at all. Your comment "If I knew on diagnosis what I know now..." is hitting home. If I'm not careful I will find the A1c has risen not dropped!
While you are in study mode check out the ketogenic diet as well. I found it very helpful along with eating less frequently (also known as intermittent fasting).

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
While you are in study mode check out the ketogenic diet as well. I found it very helpful along with eating less frequently (also known as intermittent fasting).
Will do, thank you.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

You are right, we cannot afford to become complacent. I do not think either diet is focussed primarily on weight loss though I do think that LCHF is easier on the pocket than Dr. Moseley's BSD. Some of the ingredients in the recipe book that accompanies his 8WBSD are quite expensive whereas with LCHF I have been able to adapt an awful lot of my own recipes.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Reduce your fruit but replace with similar nutrients or supplement. Do you have fatty liver from too much fruit?

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
Reduce your fruit but replace with similar nutrients or supplement. Do you have fatty liver from too much fruit?

I do hope not, wasn't aware fruit could cause fatty liver. How would I know ?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was only diagnosed because the wrong test was ordered - I have an annual test for my thyroid hormone, usually done at the hospital but in 2016 I was called to the clinic for it. I was eating a 'cholesterol lowering' diet, shedloads of carbs.
My waist has shrunk down a lot since stopping the 'diet'.