How Do You Cope In This Weather

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
How do you all feel and cope when it is so hot outside, I am finding it is tiring me out in the day time yet I find it hard to sleep at night,, am constantly sweating , my hair is always wet through and have to stay in doors most of the timeas it makes me feel as though I am gonna flake out....How does it affect you?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't leave my fans for longer than I need to. In spite of normally good control my numbers are all over the place, including hypo territory twice, on the hottest days. I fall asleep sitting up between 7 and 8 in the evening, but I'm awake all night too. Coping... Not at all. Just drink a lot and use coldpacks to stay cool. I don't care where I have to scrape one from, but next summer I will, one way or another, own an airconditioning unit!!!!

bsandie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How do you all feel and cope when it is so hot outside, I am finding it is tiring me out in the day time yet I find it hard to sleep at night,, am constantly sweating , my hair is always wet through and have to stay in doors most of the timeas it makes me feel as though I am gonna flake out....How does it affect you?
Like you I'm tired most of the time. I don't sleep too badly but only in short bursts. 2-3 hours and wake up sweating. I usually get up (visit the bathroom like you do) and then depending how I feel either go back to bed or go downstairs get a drink and go in the garden to cool down a bit if possible. Wet hair is sonething i've never had in tbe past but during the night it is at the moment.
I've never coped well with very hot weather even before I was t2 but it's getti g worse now that i'm older
You have my sympathy!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I Don, t cope in this hot weather.
I do use a fan but it's limited because of the cost.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have a fan on for the dogs, other fans are packed and unsure which box's they are in sighs...I find even sitting causes me to sweat something I never ever noticed doing before Diabetes diagnosis, have bought a Bottle of Lucazade for when i move house to keep my levels up and will do a goody bag to ensure I have something with me to eat all the time in case it drops

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry menfolk but I'm also menopausal in this heat so hot flushes with sweating isnt good. I'm sat in the open window at the moment and I also have the backdoor and upstairs windows open.

I'm drained due to the heat and constantly drinking squash which then means I have to move to use the bathroom.

I have a fan in my bedroom but according to my fit bit I'm restless and awake most the night.

On a plus note some of the UK is going to get a reprieve from tomorrow until the weekend of lower temperatures :joyful:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Create a draft if you can by opening windows. If you have an attic hatch then open that also to create a chimney effect. Leave all doors open.
We fill old milk containers with water, freeze them and stand them in front of downstairs and fans to create colder airflow. If you live in a flat then just open windows at either end to figure out if there is an air flow. Even a small one will make a difference.
You can also hang a wet towel in the window or an open doorway.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well we have rain and temperatures that were 16 degrees and have dropped to 12. It's not nice out so I've done what I need to and now I'm staying home