1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How do you deal with misinformation?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by bbyyisa, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

There are several people I have run across that got seriously permanently sick from the drugs they gave them when they misdiagnosed them as a type 2. I was lucky as the drugs they tried made me sick almost immediately so they put me on insulin fairly soon. It took a switch of doctors to get properly diagnosed. I don't get why this is so rampant of a problem, how many DKA's could be avoided or just in general better health being treated right at the beginning? I think the medical profession is really slacking off on informing doctors and nurses on the issue when they have the solve on hand and it's an easy solve. It's just an information issue for a pretty significant number of people.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well I was 43. They tried to treat me as a type 2 for about a fortnight but I'd been on Google after the first blood test showed a hba1c of 147 and it said rapid weight loss (i was down to 7.5 stone), high ketones etc is highly likely type 1.

So I went back to see the nurse, complained about headaches and stomach pains and finally they said go to A&E.

Consultant at A&E said anyone presenting with high BG together with high ketones should always go to A&E. He was not impressed with my GP....

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  3. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The thing that always gets me is when they say someone can't be T1 as they're too old, when they were diagnosed as a youngster. Do they think we are all Peter Pan or something?

Not to mention all those wrongly diagnosed as older people because they're "too old to be T1"

I do think the medical and nursing schools need to to seriously update their teaching programs!

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. JMK1954

JMK1954 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Having spoken to a nurse who had just finished her training last year, I know that Type 1 diabetes is not part of the normal nursing course, in England at least. She told me that she wanted to work as what used to be known as a 'district nurse' but I am unsure of the exact current terminology. My mother was in hospital at the time and it was this nurse's last day before moving on to start some sort of training /placement. She spoke to me because my mother had told her I was a Type 1 diabetic. She had already been to a first lecture where Type 1 had been mentioned and she had evidently been quite struck by being told Type 1 diabetics always needed to carry sugar, which was news to her. I produced my tube of Glucotabs and explained that crystals of sugar are not easy to get down unless dissolved and some sort of fast-acting, swiftly acting carb is what is required.

I suspect the absence of Type 1 from what is covered in normal nurse training explains quite a lot. It is frightening that this forum provides more information about how doctors disguish a possible Type 1 from the more usual Type 2 than the average GP seems to know.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fizzy1408

Fizzy1408 Type 2 · Member

How in the world does anyone get a job as a nurse, if they don’t know the difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes? For a school nurse, it is very dangerous not to be fully up to date with this knowledge. If this had happened to my own children, I would have been straight up to the school to make a formal complaint.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook