How do you know when?

PatTheBaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you know when you need to switch from metformin to insulin injections?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Err, when your blood sugars are out of control on metformin. But I think there is an intervening stage of insulin stimulating drugs, the sulfonlureas. Alternatively you could try and go the way of thousands of others and cut down on your carb intake and, possibly, even give up all diabetic drugs. If you can, it's the healthiest way to go. good luck,
Sally

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You get regular appointments with your doctor or diabetic nurse where you can discuss any concerns and medication.

Personally, I prefer to exhaust diet and lifestyle changes before resorting to medication. It is amazing what a difference they can make. There are forum members who have reduced or stopped medication by diet and lifestyle.

Doesn't always work, of course, but increasing medication should always be after a discussion with your doc, nurse or consultant.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
How do you know when you need to switch from metformin to insulin injections?
Pat,
tell us a bit more about yourself.
How long have you been diagnosed?
What are your numbers like - HbA1c and fasting BG?
What kind of eating plan do you follow, and what (roughly) is your BMI?

I'm wondering if you have bad numbers and are worried about reaching the point where you can't control your BG, or if you are fairly new to all this and have been told "Diabetes is a progressive illness and you'll have to go on insulin eventually" and now you are wondering how soon that will be.

Answer - this week, next week, someday, never.

Good diet and exercise control will generally put back the dread day if not cancel it altogether.
However even thin fit T2s may have to go on insulin if their pancreas just can't hack it any more.

Tell us more and we'll tell you more!:)

Cheers

LGC