how do you tell a new employer your diabetic without feeling bad

Dj29067

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i want to be open and honest about my diabetes but it feels like i have to lie to colleagues and employers due to not wanting to have awkward moments and a test of my capabilities

Tom.thomas61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i want to be open and honest about my diabetes but it feels like i have to lie to colleagues and employers due to not wanting to have awkward moments and a test of my capabilities
Youu shouldn't have to lie! Just be honest, your diabetes doesn't determine what you can and cant do! As somebody who employs a lot of people and interviews a lot of people, I appreciate honest people. You can not be judged on having diabetes against somebody who doesn't.
Before now I have had people question me on my diabetes and think crazy things are happening. But once I have educated them, they understand why you have to check your sugars or do your insulin.
Don't let diabetes define you!!

K

Knikki

Be open. I have never hidden my Diabetese openly testing, injecting and snacking if needed.

I find the more people know the better things are if something goes wrong. :)

Reactions: lessci and gemma_T1

Dj29067

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Youu shouldn't have to lie! Just be honest, your diabetes doesn't determine what you can and cant do! As somebody who employs a lot of people and interviews a lot of people, I appreciate honest people. You can not be judged on having diabetes against somebody who doesn't.
Before now I have had people question me on my diabetes and think crazy things are happening. But once I have educated them, they understand why you have to check your sugars or do your insulin.
Don't let diabetes define you!!
Thank you I will try to be honest

Reactions: Tom.thomas61

Dj29067

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Be open. I have never hidden my Diabetese openly testing, injecting and snacking if needed.

I find the more people know the better things are if something goes wrong. :)
Thank you and hope your doing well

D

Deleted member 308541

It's intriguing that it was not mentioned at your company's pre employment medical checkup.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's intriguing that it was not mentioned at your company's pre employment medical checkup.
I've never had a pre-employment medical check-up, whilst medical check-ups may be done for certain jobs they are certainly not done for all in the UK.

However I know after one incident I always tell my new employer about my diabetes just after I've started just so they have some idea if something goes wrong, or at least know what to tell the paramedics :). The one incident was that I started a new job, was going to tell my new work but got distracted and before I had a chance to tell them I hypo'd whilst sat at my desk, they didn't know what was wrong, and they ended up ringing my mum to see if there was anything they should know - and btw its really embarrassing for your work to call your mum when you're about 30 years old!

D

Deleted Account

The last time I was looking for a job, diabetes was mentioned in a positive way on my CV: "I write a blog about type 1 diabetes in which I advocate a full and adventurous life."
That way, they know I have the condition, can read the blog if they want and I've told them it is not something which stops me doing anything.
(I have stopped blogging now so will have to rethink this sentence but want to give the same message.)

Reactions: jjraak

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The last time I was looking for a job, diabetes was mentioned in a positive way on my CV: "I write a blog about type 1 diabetes in which I advocate a full and adventurous life."
That way, they know I have the condition, can read the blog if they want and I've told them it is not something which stops me doing anything.
(I have stopped blogging now so will have to rethink this sentence but want to give the same message.)

Just say 'I used to have a blog about it, but my full and adventurous life got in the way'. :)

Reactions: slip