1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How do you treat hypos right before a meal?

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by TashT1, Apr 10, 2021.

1. TashT1

TashT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’m heading into hypo territory right before tea, I should be eating in about 30 mins. But I’m at 5mmol & dropping, usually I’d nudge this up with a slice of toast but I’m going to eat soon & I feel ok.

When I bolus (novorapid) for my meal do I inject less because I’m likely to be less than 5 by the time I need to take insulin to cover the meal?

2. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You could start your meal with some carbohydrates, like a small apple or some blueberries, if you are worried.
    Hypos are below 3.5 mmol/l so for me, I run my blood sugars between 4 to 5 mmol/l before meals.

3. TashT1

TashT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks I usually feel it if I’m below 5. I’ll eat a small amount of carbs to nudge it up since I’m the one cooking.

Would you bolus as usual? Or does putting insulin into the mix when low cause more risks of going low again? My meal is 35g carbs so I’d usually take 5u

4. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If I'm worried about the protein content or fat content in my meal and a delay in the carb release, I sometimes split my dose and using your example take 3 u to start with and 2 u with my blood sugars start to rise. This is a sure way to avoid a hypo at the start of a meal.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lowcarb 2

Lowcarb 2 Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

I eat three jelly babies or try a small can of coke or if you feel fine eat your meal and then do your insulin so it has something to work with

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook