How do you treat hypos right before a meal?

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m heading into hypo territory right before tea, I should be eating in about 30 mins. But I’m at 5mmol & dropping, usually I’d nudge this up with a slice of toast but I’m going to eat soon & I feel ok.

When I bolus (novorapid) for my meal do I inject less because I’m likely to be less than 5 by the time I need to take insulin to cover the meal?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
You could start your meal with some carbohydrates, like a small apple or some blueberries, if you are worried.
Hypos are below 3.5 mmol/l so for me, I run my blood sugars between 4 to 5 mmol/l before meals.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks I usually feel it if I’m below 5. I’ll eat a small amount of carbs to nudge it up since I’m the one cooking.

Would you bolus as usual? Or does putting insulin into the mix when low cause more risks of going low again? My meal is 35g carbs so I’d usually take 5u

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Thanks I usually feel it if I’m below 5. I’ll eat a small amount of carbs to nudge it up since I’m the one cooking.

Would you bolus as usual? Or does putting insulin into the mix when low cause more risks of going low again? My meal is 35g carbs so I’d usually take 5u
If I'm worried about the protein content or fat content in my meal and a delay in the carb release, I sometimes split my dose and using your example take 3 u to start with and 2 u with my blood sugars start to rise. This is a sure way to avoid a hypo at the start of a meal.

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I'm worried about the protein content or fat content in my meal and a delay in the carb release, I sometimes split my dose and using your example take 3 u to start with and 2 u with my blood sugars start to rise. This is a sure way to avoid a hypo at the start of a meal.
I eat three jelly babies or try a small can of coke or if you feel fine eat your meal and then do your insulin so it has something to work with