How do you?

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
Answer a question I was asked today regarding my diabetes and heart disease.

"Now that you have diabetes and heart disease, do you wish you had never had children knowing that you may have passed heart disease onto them"?

How do I answer that question? as truthfully! I have never regretted having kids but it did make me think about my children and what if I have passed on heart disease to them?

Could I have also passed on diabetes to them too?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
suffolkboi61 said:
"Now that you have diabetes and heart disease, do you wish you had never had children knowing that you may have passed heart disease onto them"?

What an awful question to ask anybody! :shock: - Your kids are lucky to have a dad like you who is taking good care of himself so he can be here for them as long as possible - I am glad you look at your kids and never regret them - that's how it should be :D

As to passing on things down generations - its not always the case but if so at least you and they are aware of your medical history and can do everything in your power to minimise the risk to them. The asker of the question may not have the luxury and may be living in blissful ignorance :wink:

The question you have been asked is similar to one that I often get asked regarding my son

"Would you have adopted him if you had known he was going to autistic?" - I don't usually dignify it with a response but my truthful answer would be yes! - without any hesitation - life is very difficult at times but so worth it.

Don't dwell what what you can't change and just enjoy your kids and everything that our kids bring to our lives no matter what their age!

next time tell whoever asks to mind their own beeswax! (((hugs)))

Romola

The person who asked that knows very little about genetics.

Firstly - we are not enslaved by our genes. Forewarned is forearmed - which is why when I was diagnosed with T2, I sent my children a book about glycemic load, so they could choose to eat in such a way as wouldn't put too big a burden on their insulin production/sensitivity.

Secondly - all species need a large gene pool to be genetically healthy. This means the inclusion of many gene expressions that would usually be seen as harmful. When environmental conditions change drastically - which they always have done over time - it would be impossible to guess which genes might turn out to be important and valuable.

Lots of genetic variation is good.

Don't feel guilty, or obliged to answer stupid questions :?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
SB
just teach your kids to be as healthy as possible. That way, they will be better prepared for whatever comes.
Hana

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
I lost my dad when I was 12 and if I get heart disease I can't blame him my previous lifestyle would be to blame. I'm the first diabetic in my family because of my lifestyle choices. The only thing I blame my dad for is my nose. Enjoy your family and guide them from your mistakes to help keep them healthy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Blimey, what a odious and insensitive question to be asked! :shock: Who on earth had the nerve to ask such a thing!

I'll tell you something, far from answering their question, I would placed a clench fist on the end of their chin. :evil:

As others have said, don't worry yourself about this, I had diabetes before I had my children, and I wouldn't change a thing.....................that I do know. :)

Nigel

ditzeeblonde

What a dreadful thing to say!! :shock:

My response would have been: How do you feel that you might have passed on the idiot gene onto your kids!!'

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Every person on earth who procreates MAY have passed on negative genes. So hows about we sterilise the whole world now and stop the negative genes from having any effect....???
.....what a moron!!.

Chin Up!!! ... Steve.

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
My son and daughter asked me what was wrong when I got in and after I told them, they laughed it off, but I think they took heed as they have just got back from the dr's, they have to go for blood tests in the morning, so at least they are taking it seriously.
Daughter has even decided to stop smoking :D

I only found out yesterday that heart disease does run in my family, my sister has had it for over 7 years, my father has it and my uncle died from a massive heart attack, me being the youngest in the family, am always the last to know these things. :x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My Dad died of heaart disease aged 79 in1989. He was the first male member of his immediate family in many generations to live beyond 60.