How do your false hypos manifest?

steveelles

Hi there
I get some pretty steep drops. From what I can tell, I have two primary symptoms (along with the usual hot flushes, headache, nausea and wanting to throw a chair across the room).
1. A whizzing noise in my ears (hissing tinnitus). I think this may also happen as my sugar goes up immediately after food although, it feels more like the start of a hypo only 15 minutes after eating.
2. Really upset stomach. Just like IBS but I've noticed it isn't just my digestive tract that begins spasming but also my bladder, the muscles in my feet and shins, strange sensation above the small of my back and in a band from the back right round to the front, plus my belly swells up. I've had these symptoms since I was 17. I'm now 48.
Originally dianosed as Type 2 but now under investigation for MODY.
Meds = 320mg Gliclazide daily.
Average daily fasting BG = 12mmol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Do you test when these incidents occur?

Different folk get different symptoms. (To a degree.) the early symptoms for me is in the eyes & the feeling of walking into a room & forgetting why? I assume what dementia could possibly be like? Mentally?. (But this also affect folk differently.) I also loose confidence. Lucky for me if it was to happen prior to having to drive? I know.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi there
I get some pretty steep drops. From what I can tell, I have two primary symptoms (along with the usual hot flushes, headache, nausea and wanting to throw a chair across the room).
1. A whizzing noise in my ears (hissing tinnitus). I think this may also happen as my sugar goes up immediately after food although, it feels more like the start of a hypo only 15 minutes after eating.
2. Really upset stomach. Just like IBS but I've noticed it isn't just my digestive tract that begins spasming but also my bladder, the muscles in my feet and shins, strange sensation above the small of my back and in a band from the back right round to the front, plus my belly swells up. I've had these symptoms since I was 17. I'm now 48.

If you have quick drops, why the glicizide?
This drug will intentionally bring your blood sugar levels down.

Have you got any further with tests?

When I go hyper (over 7 mmols) my eyes blur, I shake, I get hunger, angry, anxious and so on.
When I go hypo, (not for a long time) I get similar symptoms but more severe, I begin by sweating, feeling feverish, headache behind my eyes, my brain turns to mush, my memory fails me, I really feel awful, nausea, and I still want to eat the fridge, quick to temper, rage and my anxiety boils over!
I don't get false hypos!
Are you sure you don't? They are real quick drops, maybe not the lows that I have had, but you do need to stop this rollercoaster ride!

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there
Hi, when I was on Gliclazide and my levels where coming down from very high (14-25) I felt false hypos a few days in a row. It was shaking hands arms, feeling sweaty hot and bothered, and feeling very confused and weak. I needed to eat jellybabies to feel ok again, when I tested before eating them I was a 6, which isn’t a true hypo.
When I drop to 3 I feel the same now and need to eat, can’t function otherwise feel a sense of panic too until feel level is back up.
Perhaps review your meds with your doctor? Gliclazide is a newer generation med and works all day...regardless if you’ve eaten. I was suspected MODY (but won’t test now as I’ve come back positive antibodies) and put on Repaglinide, does same as glic makes you produce insulin, but this med only when you eat, so the fast drops haven’t been as much for me. It’s an older med so my diabetes nurse and drs not heard of it, but consultant recommended, said glic and Repaglinide are usually tried before insulin. Might be worth measuring your blood sugar levels when this is happening to show at your next appointment?