How does anyone manage Metformin ?

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have only been taking it for two days but I feel absolutely awful !
It has upset my stomach so badly I have been up all night.
My stomach is grumbling like a drain and I feel so sick.
I always have difficulties taking tablets but have never had an upset like this before.
Perhaps its partly stress as we are going away but there is no way I am going to manage these tablets on holiday.
I have the Slow release tablets and it is only 500 mg so I thought I wouldn't have any problems with them.
I guess they suit some people and not others.
The advice I have been given is try and work through it and eat some ginger biscuits but I might as well not go on holiday if I feel this bad.
I feel very depressed today.

I had the same gastric problems the first time, and blurred vision as well. I persevered, and after about 2 weeks I can take standard Metformin anytime I want without problems, empty stomach or not. Blurred vision gradually cleared within 3 to 4 weeks. Maybe give it some time and see what happens. If the problem persists after a couple of weeks, then slow release I guess.

I prefer the standard tablet, I can time my metformin myself, as I like to take it just before bed. If sleeping late, 12 hours at least before the next 500mg dose (I am only on 2 500mg per day).