How does anyone manage Metformin ?

Clarew125

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have only been taking it for two days but I feel absolutely awful !
It has upset my stomach so badly I have been up all night.
My stomach is grumbling like a drain and I feel so sick.
I always have difficulties taking tablets but have never had an upset like this before.
Perhaps its partly stress as we are going away but there is no way I am going to manage these tablets on holiday.
I have the Slow release tablets and it is only 500 mg so I thought I wouldn't have any problems with them.
I guess they suit some people and not others.
The advice I have been given is try and work through it and eat some ginger biscuits but I might as well not go on holiday if I feel this bad.
I feel very depressed today.
I has the exact same problem and my dr put my on glucophage metformin which I am fine with and they have made note on my file to ensure that I have glucophage. It can be the coating of the tablet that causes the sickness the pharmacy told me and he is diabetic himself. Hope u get to try glucophage and it helps x

jimscull

I always have difficulties taking tablets but have never had an upset like this before.
Perhaps its partly stress as we are going away but there is no way I am going to manage these tablets on holiday.
I have the Slow release tablets and it is only 500 mg so I thought I wouldn't have any problems with them.
The advice I have been given is try and work through it and eat some ginger biscuits but I might as well not go on holiday if I feel this bad.
Hi
When I first started taking metformin 4 years ago I would occasionally feel and be sick for the first few weeks but after that I have been fine

sosophie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My friend has type 2 diabetes and takes long acting insulin in the evening to keep surgara down during night, could you not do that ?. Metformin never agreed with me either when they tried giving it me alongside my insulin when I was pregnant, it just doesn't work for some people x

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I saw hospital GP last week. In the last 2 months my bs levels have gone up - still under 10 but higher than normal, despite what I've eaten since diagnosed in March 2015 not changing. Hospital Diabetic GP wants some kidney function tests does on the bloods I gave last week, the wants my own GP to put me on metaformin as well as my insulin. I discussed side effects and was told I can't go on the slow release version, which has less side effects but the low dose 500mg metaformin, according to him, doesn't gave any side effects??? My bs levels were between 4 & 7, now, despite me adjusting my insulin levels (off my own back, as no one around to give me advice) my bs levels are now between 7.8 & 9.5. I'm still asking them to confirm if I'm type 1 or 2 and gave been told there are no markers showing I'm diabetic in my blood, but they won't risk taking me off insulin in case I become ill again. I'm worried about side effects as I am in a job where I carry out interviews which take up to 1 1/2 hours each - I can't afford to feel unwell, neither can I go sick as my employer (the government!) is constantly on our backs about sickness records and the numbers of days lost due to this - my sick records not bad but they've brought in new policies where either 8 days or 3 periods of sickness (even if only a day each)during a year and you get a written warning. I've been told I'll be better taking leave if I know I'm likely to be ill for a while, which is fine in theory, but not really fair.
The doctor who said there are no side effects is just wrong. You might get side effects, you might not, and there is no way to know until you try the drug. In the professional version of the prescribing information there is a table showing that in research over 50% of the people in the study got diarrhoea. So, over 40% didn't, lol.

At this forum we hear a lot about metformin side effects but it gives us a skewed view because those who didn't get bad side effects don't tend to post and say that as much. For those who get the side effects it's horrible, but there are almost as many people who don't get them.

The usual practice seems to be to try people on the ordinary metformin then if they get bad side effects they try the slow release. Sometimes they still get bad side effects from that, so they have to give up on it completely.

I suggest you start a thread about your BGs, diagnosis puzzle and insulin use, and you will get lots of info and ideas about what to do next. I think you need good medical advice about your type and dose of insulin. Regardless of what type of diabetes you have, it appears that you need insulin at the moment. Getting the optimal usage pattern should reduce the risk of hypos. I suggest testing before a work meeting and having glucotabs or lucozade handy to treat a hypo if you get one.

I also think your employer's rules about sick days sound like unlawful discrimination, but I don't know what the laws in the UK are. Someone else can hopefully advise. The relevant union probably has a view on whether what they are doing is legal.

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a few side effects to start with, upset stomach and rather loose. Now it is just effecting wind. Prior to my diagnoses I ate a lot of fruit and was constantly windy but no real smell (honestly) most of the time. Now there is a chemical smell and most unpleasant.

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw hospital GP last week. In the last 2 months my bs levels have gone up - still under 10 but higher than normal, despite what I've eaten since diagnosed in March 2015 not changing. Hospital Diabetic GP wants some kidney function tests does on the bloods I gave last week, the wants my own GP to put me on metaformin as well as my insulin. I discussed side effects and was told I can't go on the slow release version, which has less side effects but the low dose 500mg metaformin, according to him, doesn't gave any side effects??? My bs levels were between 4 & 7, now, despite me adjusting my insulin levels (off my own back, as no one around to give me advice) my bs levels are now between 7.8 & 9.5. I'm still asking them to confirm if I'm type 1 or 2 and gave been told there are no markers showing I'm diabetic in my blood, but they won't risk taking me off insulin in case I become ill again. I'm worried about side effects as I am in a job where I carry out interviews which take up to 1 1/2 hours each - I can't afford to feel unwell, neither can I go sick as my employer (the government!) is constantly on our backs about sickness records and the numbers of days lost due to this - my sick records not bad but they've brought in new policies where either 8 days or 3 periods of sickness (even if only a day each)during a year and you get a written warning. I've been told I'll be better taking leave if I know I'm likely to be ill for a while, which is fine in theory, but not really fair.
I did see a post which mentioned disability and reasonable adjustment, which should apply. I also work for the government and have the same rules but fortunately have not had to take any time off. Are you able to say where you work?

nats25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel very depressed today.[/QUO

Hey there I'm Nat type one diabetic who also takes metformin I always feel kik a balloon when I take it. So I know how some of you feel

Suzie Quartly

My opinion based on personal experience is that Metformin is pure evil. If your stomach is that upset by it, you wont be absorbing much of it, so it wont do that much to your sugar levels. There are plenty of other oral treatments you could use. Dont be a martyr to the discomfort, although it might well subside after a week or so, tell your GP you want something else

Shaz8465

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also reacted badly when I first started on Metphormine but it does get better if you carry on taking it. After about 4 days my body started to get used to it and the pain and discomfort subsided.

I get the same pains and upset stomach if I miss my tablets .

Hope it sorts itself out!
I had the same reaction to metformin but my GP changed it to metformin slow release and problem solved and my sugar is fine

John C.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have never had a problem with metformin and I now take 2 Janumet tablets per day and have no side effects from those.

Emma1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would stop it if you can and start after holidays, metformin made me sick - I switched to slow release then had to rebed that in again, about 2 weeks of nausea, stomach cramps later it doesnt bother me now :) xx

Good Luck x

Davidvwt2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Metformin is unsuitable for about 24% of patients it's prescribed to. I remained on it for far too long only to be told I was intolerant to the drug. If it's that bad , go back to GP, there are plenty of alternatives but they cost more. It's all about quality of life and it's difficult to get that if you have to be near a toilet 24/7 ! Don't give up, demand an alternative drug . Good luck, and enjoy your holiday ! David

Reactions: 2 people

islelassie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[ have been on metformin for a year now. Initially I took one a day, that was OK, then I was put onto three a day as my glucose levels hadn't come down. From that I was given an extended release form of Metformin and that made me very ill, then I have been put on 2 metformin per day since then, The lowest my blood glucose levels have been is 9 but more often 12 or 13. My fasting level is higher than four hours after a meal. I have asked to be trialled GLP LR on the newer drug which is not insulin but is administered via pen syryng once a day. The review found that GLP-1R agonists were associated with weight loss in both people with and without diabetes. However, it is most important to note that these drugs are currently licensed only for the purposes of controlling blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes that has not responded to other standard treatments. They cannot be prescribed for people without type 2 diabetes, and even in people with type 2 diabetes they have very restricted eligibility criteria.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
[ have been on metformin for a year now. Initially I took one a day, that was OK, then I was put onto three a day as my glucose levels hadn't come down. From that I was given an extended release form of Metformin and that made me very ill, then I have been put on 2 metformin per day since then, The lowest my blood glucose levels have been is 9 but more often 12 or 13. My fasting level is higher than four hours after a meal. I have asked to be trialled GLP LR on the newer drug which is not insulin but is administered via pen syryng once a day. The review found that GLP-1R agonists were associated with weight loss in both people with and without diabetes. However, it is most important to note that these drugs are currently licensed only for the purposes of controlling blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes that has not responded to other standard treatments. They cannot be prescribed for people without type 2 diabetes, and even in people with type 2 diabetes they have very restricted eligibility criteria.
Hi islelassie. Would you be interested in some information about the benefits, side effects and risks of GLP agonists and an alternative to these?

Hans S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on (maximum dose) metformin 500mg x 3 times a day for some years with no ill effect. I also take sitagliptin 100mg.

rhedgehog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Licorice
It seems once again that everyone is different.

I was diagnosed in July and put straight on 1500mg of metformin a day. I occasionally get some urgent moments, but as i am on omeprazole for my chronic acid reflux, i seem not to suffer too badly with it.

I find it also can be better or worse depending on what i eat. too many carbs and i get real bad gas and things can get a bit loose. keep the carbs down and generally i am alright.

Also, I try not to miss any doses. If i miss a dose and try to make it up later then all hell breaks loose.

Hope it improves for you soon. If not, get to the quack and get them to try something else that doesn't give you such an awful time.

MDAVIES65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have been type 2 since 2008, and am on Metformin 850mg, 3 times a day. Apart from the initial couple of weeks, I have been fine with the Metformin. Symptoms were upset tummy and wind (wife and kids not impressed). SInce then I have been fine. I also take Lyxumia as an injection.

If the tablets are causing you this much distress, I would leave off them until after your holiday. One way to help reduce high BS levels, is just to take a 30 minute walk, and a holiday is the perfect time to do this.

Have a great holiday, and then when you come back, ask your doctor for a different type of metformin

Tng1971

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Like others, I couldn't handle regular metformin or the slow release version either. Talked it through with my gp as I felt housebound by the side effects. Now on gliclazide and under control most of the time. Plenty of options out there it's about trial lying till you find the one that suits you. Be patient, I know it's hard.

Cranstoun

Please understand that high BS is caused by eating stuff that turns to sugar Go on your holiday but stay totally off
ALL DAIRY
ALL FRUIT
ALL PRODUCTS WITH FLOUR
ALL PRODUCTS WITH SUGAR
ALL CARBOHYDRATES

You can survive on salad vegetables and meat

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Please understand that high BS is caused by eating stuff that turns to sugar Go on your holiday but stay totally off
ALL DAIRY
ALL FRUIT
ALL PRODUCTS WITH FLOUR
ALL PRODUCTS WITH SUGAR
ALL CARBOHYDRATES

You can survive on salad vegetables and meat

Hi Cranstoun and welcome to the forum.

Everyone is different and most people do fine eating more than salad vegetables and meat as long as they don't overdo the carbs. Small amounts of flour and sugar don't do a lot of harm for most people. Some fruit are better than others. Berries are low carb. There are carbs in salad veges, but not many. Meat is protein, and some protein is converted into glucose in the body. Dairy products such as cream, butter and cheese have minimal carbs and have other nutrients that can be beneficial especially on a low carb diet.

Reactions: 4 people