How hard can it be to get my repeat prescription right

LaughingHyena

Argghhh

It should be a simple system, I send an email to my GP requesting a selection of items form my repeat list. They sort out the prescription, Tesco collect it and then I pick up the stuff when I'm shopping.

So many times I go and collect the stuff only to find that I have been issues with the wrong items. They always match the printed prescription but not the original email. The problem is definitely when whoever at the GP transfers the email to the prescription request. I've made them as clear as I can and with a total number of items (after they kept missing ones completely) and when I ring to correct the problem they always tell me the email is clear :roll:

I've had novo pens instead of novorapid catridges :shock: not really the same thing.
Last year I ended up with about 6 boxes of lancets as they gave me those instead of the test strips I'd requested and in the last 2 months I've had test strips instead of the lancets I requested. I wouldn't mind having extra strips but they are for a meter I don't often use.

When I rang up today apparently lancets are no longer on my repeat as I haven't requested any for a while. Err maybe because I'm only just reaching the end of the 600 you sent me by mistake last year :crazy:

Ahh well, I'm told I'll need to do lots of testing when I start the pump next month so I suppose I'll get through the extra strips. Please tell me ordering pump supplies isn't as random though, I don't think I could handle that.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Can you use the NHS online system EMIS at your surgery? Ask if you can register for it. You should then be able to book GP appointments and order repeat prescriptions without using emails. That might help. Failing that, a complaint to the practice manager might be needed if wrong medication is being prescribed.

Regards

Doug

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SpaceChick

Not all GP practices use EMIS... EMIS is one GP system supplier along with others like InPractice, Exeter etc.

So it would depend if the practice offered this facility.

You are right though, even though I ordered mine online, when I collected yesterday despite requesting my Metformin as well as my Blood Pressure meds, I only had my blood pressure meds available. PITA!

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Thanks for the info SpaceChick.

There is a greater than 50% chance that practices will use EMIS so its worth asking. I do not know if the other systems allow patient interface but, again, worth asking.

Doug

LaughingHyena

We have a system to book appointments on-line, but I've not seen anything in there about repeat prescriptions. I'll have to have another look round. When I asked last year (after the many many lancets incident) about the best way to send in the repeats I was told email so I suspect that is the only option.

I did write a letter of complaint last year but not I think about it I didn't get a reply. Maybe time to send of another one.

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Don't worry the insulin pump supplies normally go through the manufacturer for me it's medtronic so I just ring them every 6 months with what i'm running out of and they send it out the next week by courier.

I have the same problems with boots and our GP. I once got a freebie of needles and test strips - great but I was ill so really I wanted ketone sticks, god know's how they can mess it up when it's written down for them

iHs

I think it's important to make sure that the correct PIP code is used for the insulin cartridges, pre filled pens and vials as its easy to mistake a certain item to be something else. Unfortunately, nothing is that clear on computers.

Also, rather than use a large pharmacy chain which employs loads of pharmacists, try a smaller independent one as they will have the time to question what is written on the prescription.

LaughingHyena

Also, rather than use a large pharmacy chain which employs loads of pharmacists, try a smaller independent one as they will have the time to question what is written on the prescription.
I'm not sure why they would question it though. The items I've been given always match the prescription, it's that the items listed on the prescription are the wrong ones. They have (so far at least) all be things I would order at some point.

I have the same problems with boots and our GP. I once got a freebie of needles and test strips - great but I was ill so really I wanted ketone sticks, god know's how they can mess it up when it's written down for them
Ohh, hope you got your sticks sorted quickly.

As to how they get it wrong, well when I rang up yesterday to question this prescription the receptionist was working through the email checking off what I had, we got to the strips.
receptionist "one touch lancets"
me "no, that's the problem, I've been issues one touch testing strips"
receptionist "oh, are they not the same thing"

Putting the PIP code on sounds like a plan, off to look them all up.

Don't worry the insulin pump supplies normally go through the manufacturer for me it's medtronic so I just ring them every 6 months with what i'm running out of and they send it out the next week by courier.
That's reassuring to know

Morganator

Got to say my pharmacist has phoned me more than once when something different has been ordered just to check that it isn't a mistake. It is good to know that he keep an eye on things.

SimonClifford

You don't live in Stafford by any chance? Seems the GPs are no longer issuing prescriptions, but the receptionists. Sadly the receptionists medical training is not quite as thorough as the GP's and their recommendations for drugs and supplies are not really as good you'd hope. Took me a while to convince them that 5x 3ml Novorapid pens weren't quite as effective as 3x 10ml vials of Humulog with a pump.
So now I've been granted access to vials of Humulog, but only for 2 issues when my prescription needs to be "reviewed to see if you really need to keep taking those drugs".
Last year I said, "fantastic, so after 38 years of insulin injections, your procedures indicate that I may not need to inject insulin again? You've made a stunning discovery here, have you made an application to the Nobel Prize committee for this ground-breaking work?", needless to say I received somewhat bemused looks.