pilkersaeo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Life is too short to have dislikes
Hi All
This is my first posting on this forum. It is really heartening to hear of the massive success stories that you all achieve and I really think it spurs the rest of us on to work at controlling our diabetes

I was diagnosed T2 about 5 years ago and have been diet controlled in that time. My readings on the HbA1c hovered around the 40s until about 4 months ago when a routine check resulted in a score of 83. Needless to say I and the diabetic nurse were not impressed. I admit I had let things go a bit and I had suffered the trauma of losing both my parents (both over 90), within a year. The nurse said OK its medication for you. No! says I. So she gave me 3 months to improve. Long story short, and when I went back 3 months later my score was 51 and my weight had only gone down by 2kgs. Result! and no medication. She was flabbergasted and I was really pleased. She said she would have been pleased with anything under 70 as long as the decline was maintained.

So, how did I do it? Firstly I did not deprive myself of anything, but I did limit the amount of cakes, chocolate and snacks I ate to once a week. I had bacon and 2 eggs for breakfast twice a week and 2 Weetabix on the other days. I had 2 slices of brown bread with tomato and cucumber filling, a bag of crisps and a weight watchers yoghurt for lunch, and a chicken fish, or other meat dinner with vegetables for an evening meal. Snacks were fruit or raw carrot or cauliflower. I also had a beer or glass of wine twice a week. Hardly a starvation diet! I walked a minimum of 10,000 steps per day and I started going to the gym once or twice a week. At each gym session, I started running on the treadmill for 3 kms at 6.5km/hr (first time running for 39 years!) and walking at 6km/hr for a further 2 kms. I rowed 1km, and cycled 10kms in half an hour. Because I was going to the gym and exercising, I was building muscle hence the reason I hardly lost weight. I feel fitter and my waist has lost 2 inches from 38 to 36. My weight is 89kgs and I am 184cm and 65 years old. My diabetic nurse urged me to "tell my story" as if I can do it, so can many others.

Sorry about the long post, but if this helps anyone, it is worth it.

Regards

To all

Mark

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on taking control. Very many of us find that we can get our Hba1C out of the diabetic range by reducing carbs , some more dramatically than others. Its a question of finding new non carby foods to eat instead ! Its great to see how much progress can be made with some simple changes to diet and exercise ! well done !

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
great story, well done. we all need to encourage each other as much as we can :)

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations! It is heartening to hear stories like that, and with concrete "this is what I did" examples.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Great that you can bounce back in such a positive way, keep showing what good looks like.