how long before a meal should I inject ?

zbd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
type 2 newly on insulin.
How long before a meal should I inject myself

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
normally with the new insulins ( fast acting ) injecting with the meal or 10-15 minutes before is about right.
However many people find that they inject 30 minutes and 45 minutes before and this really helps with stopping the carb spike getting too high post meal.
have a chat with your DSN -- and then keep records of your tests and try different injection times to see which suits you best to prevent the spike without causing a hypo

Reactions: 3 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd agree with himtoo - I think you need to figure out for yourself what works best - and it also depends on what type of insulin you're on - some you take in advance, some immediately as you start eating. Did your DN not advise you?

When I first went on insulin, the DN directed me to inject 15 minutes before - I think that's to keep it safe (i.e. to avoid a potential hypo) until you figure out how long it takes to work for you. I think mine is reasonably slow, so we've moved it to 30 minutes before. I think generally, I end up taking it less than that as I find it tricky sometimes to judge 30 minutes, especially if my husband is cooking.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Also you need to be mindful of the meal you are consuming, if its high in fat or has low-gi carbs and you inject ahead (using a fast-acting insulin such as Novorapid or Apidra) then it could catch you out, the reason being your insulin may work faster than your body can digest the food.

GoldenMouse

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Rapid-acting insulin starts to work within a few minutes after injection.
Regular- or short-acting insulin takes about 30 minutes to work fully and lasts for 3 to 6 hours.
Intermediate-acting insulin takes 2 to 4 hours to work fully. Its effects can last for up to 18 hours.
Long-acting insulin takes 6 to 10 hours to reach peak levels in the bloodstream. It can work for an entire day.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I normally inject just before eating or if my BS in the 4's , I have to inject whilts consuming some of the meal.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I also inject my insulin (novorapid) just before I eat my meal.

If I'm in a restaurant I will inject when the meal is actually on the table in front of me as I've gone hypo before waiting for it !

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I do like RRB but i'm currently very fined tuned to my pump. Just wondering if its going to be the same when back on mdi in 12 days time!!