How long before LCHF kicks in?

diabolic sister

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All, I hope you are all very well. I haven't been on here for a while, I was doing OK on Metformin 1000mg twice a day, but over the past few months my BG has soared. DN put me on Januvia which had zero effect, so I've stopped that, she has given me Gliclazide now but I'm afraid of putting on weight. By all accounts that's what it does, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't eat a lot as it is. I thought I would give LCHF a serious go, it's only day three and my BG is hovering around 13.8 which is a lot better than the 19s and 20s I was getting. Does it take a while?
Also the DN has given me a starting dose of Gliclazide of 80mg twice a day, is that not a bit high? I haven't had the prescription filled out yet. She says she believes I will end up on Insulin. Really unhappy about this, plus I have dreadfully slow transit which is making life misery. I don't know what to eat anymore, the Gastro Bloke says to eat for the diabetes first and rely on laxatives and suppositories. Sorry if that's too much info, just wanted to share : )
Thanks for looking

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back!

I would do exactly as you suggest...give LCHF a serious go. Read around the forum and look at the "What Did You Eat Today" thread for a better idea of what you can eat. In a nutshell, you may want to stay under 50 grams carbs and eliminate sugar, grains, starches. Stick with protein, above ground vegetables, and healthy fats. If you don't have a meter, buy one. Then, test first thing in the morning, before meals and then 1 and 2 hours after to see which food cause your BS to spike and which cause only a small rise.

Since your blood sugars are so high, it sounds like your DN wants to drop them as quickly as possible, so that could be why you are a high dosage of Gliclazide. Although, be careful for hypos, if you make sudden changes to your diet.

My blood sugar dropped incrementally within a few days, but it took weeks for it to show a noticeable pattern. I have been only eating 20-30 grams of carbs/day since April and my fasting BS is still higher than I would like. Your mileage may vary, but when you read member's signatures, you will see everyone has a different BS journey.

As far as the constipation, make sure to include fibrous veggies (and eventually fruit) and nuts to your diet. I take a magnesium citrate supplement in the evening to help me sleep better, but it also helps with "transit". ;)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Do not rely on laxatives and enemas. I have slow colonic transit diagnossd from shapes test.

I now have 2 tablespoons of flaxseed and 1 tablespoon of Chia seeds every day...

Bread, pasta, potatoes, is off menu totally.... They cause me huge problems as do other foods I will list tomorrow.

I had ambulances, morphine and hospital, enemas and lacatives before. Nothing in 2 years now..

Reactions: 2 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Movicol is good for slow bowels :( I did not know gliclazide put weight on :eek: but I am sure you will find a way to controll your diabetes when you have read some of the information in the forum :)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely give LCHF a serious go. In Feb my fasting BS was always 7 and above. Since the beginning of June it is now in the 5's so it has taken me 4 months to get my BS where I want it. If you're eating lots of low carb veges your bowels should hopefully sort themselves out. It is a slow learning curve learning all the ins and outs of the diet but with a bit of perseverance you will find what suits you. Look forward to hearing how you get on.

karencymru

@donnellysdogs how do you manage to swallow 2 tablespoons of flaxseed and 1 of chia? I sprinkle liberally on yoghurt /salad and make chai pudding but can't hit those volumes! Any tips please?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
@donnellysdogs how do you manage to swallow 2 tablespoons of flaxseed and 1 of chia? I sprinkle liberally on yoghurt /salad and make chai pudding but can't hit those volumes! Any tips please?
Hi karencymru, you might like to try...2 eggs in a bowl 1 tablespoon almond flour and 1 of coconut flour, and 1 of ground flax seed, add any spices you like at this stage ,blend well and gently fry in butter/ olive oil,for 6 mins on medium heat, then under the grill with a sprinkle of cheese and finish cooking for another 5 mins..enjoy

Reactions: 4 people

karencymru

Hi karencymru, you might like to try...2 eggs in a bowl 1 tablespoon almond flour and 1 of coconut flour, and 1 of ground flax seed, add any spices you like at this stage ,blend well and gently fry in butter/ olive oil,for 6 mins on medium heat, then under the grill with a sprinkle of cheese and finish cooking for another 5 mins..enjoy
Sounds lovely, will definitely make this, thank you.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

As a type 1 I can have a glass of orange juice or a fruit salad easy with them in if in a rush.. My hubby does a fresh fruit salad for himself each day with fresh juice -mango, kiwi, apple n orange in it. He will just do for me for when I get home.

Sometimes I just make up as a pudding with almond milk and ground nuts.. My interpretation of someones recipe posted.

Sometimes I just literally add to a glass of milk and drink. The only thing I must do is start taking them away with me when I visit people....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I add 1 tblspoon of milled flax seed to my hot oat cereal each day

Good thinking there.. Yet another great solution to getting it.

I also sprinkle over my salads n veg... Just to ensure I get enough..