How long before you took insulin?

linda321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long did you have type 2 diabetes before you took insulin?

I was diagnosed in June, and was prescribed glicoside, then metformin, then sitagliptin. No change in very high BS, so have been on insulin for 2 months (Novomix30). My BS have come down and are beginning to stabilise now I am cutting down on carbs. I had an appointment with the consultant a couple of weeks ago and she thinks that I am type 2 (although I suspect I am LADA/Type 1.5). I have never been obese and exercise a lot.

My understanding of type 2 is that your pancreas still makes insulin but your cells are resistant to it, so the pancreas works harder to create more and more insulin. Eventually it runs out of steam and no insulin is produced. My question is - how long does this take? Can this have happened so quickly to me? My symptoms (thirst, losing weight, peeing a lot) came on really quickly. Could I have had type 2 for a long time without realising it?

Reactions: 6 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"My symptoms (thirst, losing weight, peeing a lot) came on really quickly"

the losing weight without trying part sounds like T1.5 to me, you could have a blood test to tell the difference. It doesn't matter much because you are on insulin either way. a reduced carb diet may help with BG levels.

Reactions: 4 people

linda321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Jack. I am having a C-peptide blood test, but that just shows whether or not you are producing insulin doesn't it? I guess I need to push for a GAD test for antibodies.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
How long did you have type 2 diabetes before you took insulin?

I was diagnosed in June, and was prescribed glicoside, then metformin, then sitagliptin. No change in very high BS, so have been on insulin for 2 months (Novomix30). My BS have come down and are beginning to stabilise now I am cutting down on carbs. I had an appointment with the consultant a couple of weeks ago and she thinks that I am type 2 (although I suspect I am LADA/Type 1.5). I have never been obese and exercise a lot.

My understanding of type 2 is that your pancreas still makes insulin but your cells are resistant to it, so the pancreas works harder to create more and more insulin. Eventually it runs out of steam and no insulin is produced. My question is - how long does this take? Can this have happened so quickly to me? My symptoms (thirst, losing weight, peeing a lot) came on really quickly. Could I have had type 2 for a long time without realising it?

I have read that diabetes can hang around for between 10-20 years before diagnosis. That's why it's called 'the silent killer' as many people don't know they have it until it's too late. Though I think this is less likely these days due to better awareness of signs and symptoms. Personally, I think I developed it long before I was formally diagnosed as I had been ill for several years and developed other long term conditions with very similar symptoms.

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Three years of meds for me and HATED the side effects especially Metformin. I personally think I should have been moved long before. The Practice Nurse (DN) kept saying "I will refer you" but never did. I made an appointment with my GP and he had to wake me in the waiting room as I was so hyperglycemic. He looked at my HbA1c levels and was shocked and referred me to the Hospital with a letter marked 'URGENT'. At the Hospital clinic the DSN reckoned I should have been referred there years ago.

Reactions: 2 people

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Only just started looking on this part if the forum again, lots more posts lately :)

Was diagnosed T2 about 9-10 years ago, but suspect had for a while before that, been on insulin past 2 years and only really learnt anything decent diet wise from this forum LCHF section especially, wish I had all this information when diagnosed as may of staved off the insulin for a while longer, but rather be on the insulin and have lower BG than not on it and higher BG, swings & roundabouts!!

Reactions: 6 people

brummybri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with Type 2 in 1999 and 'progressed' through diet only to metformin, then more metformin and eventually metformin and glicazide.
In September 2013 I was referred to Hospital diabetic nurse. They tried Victoza injections but they didn't reduce H1bAc levels by 10% as required so in September 2014 I was prescribed Humulin 1.After reading above 15 years from diagnosis is not so bad.I have put on 6 - 7 pounds since starting the Humulin when I should be losing weight. I am now struggling to understand the intricacies of the evils 'carbs, fat and sugar'. I have been looking for low carb bread to see if that would help. I would love to hear from anyone with similar experience who found the way forward.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 5years ago.
I was put on insulin last October,started of at on 8 units morning only.
I have since had another toe removed then got a big blister on my big toe it burst on New Year's Day.
I am now between nurses & podiatry as toe now infected.
What with toe infection & stress my blood sugars have been 25.5,hi,22.5,19.2,23.9,22.5 the the dn put me on extra insulin now this morning I am 13.0.
So hope extra insulin & tablets work.