How long does it take to reduce blood sugars?

Lawrencepa

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've been low carbing for 3 months now and I won't lie I have cheated about every week or 2. I lost about 2 stone but that's stopped now. I'm more concerned about my blood sugar which is still usually 5.6-5.9 upon waking. When I eat it goes up to about 6.5 after an hour an half. I just don't understand why it hasn't improved. I know I shouldn't be cheating really but since starting the diet I have been less strict with myself. I eat 20g most days but some days I'll eat a lot more. Is this bad? Should it have improved by now?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you have answered your own question. It is the cheating that is letting you down, and maybe also why your weight loss has stalled. Swinging from 20g a day to something a lot higher definitely won't help you I'm afraid.

Maybe you could have a re-think about your meals, and instead of swinging from low carb to high carb, why not pick an amount higher than 20g but stick to it every day? Your new way of eating needs to be sustainable, and it seems that 20g a day isn't sustainable for you. What about 50 to 60g a day, every day? Would that help?

Reactions: Arlmy

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those fasting and postprandial bms look fine. What do they do on the days when you “cheat”? and the nexr couple of days?
What level of carbs are you hoping to settle at?

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yeah if you need to cheat try upping your limit and resit the cheats.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Aren't those pretty well normal levels? The fasting is slightly elevated but not horrible but the 6.5 would be normal after eating?

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Sounds like you are exactly like me. I wake and have levels in the 5.5 to 6.5 range, which can even rise further in the next hour or two...but then drop (to like 4.5 to 5.0) around 11:00am (if I stay in a fasted state). Look up Morning Syndrome or Dawn Phenomenon...one of which sounds like I have.

Your post meal numbers do not look too bad depending on what you are eating of course.