How Long For Side Effects of Metformin

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been type 2 for 6 or 7 years. I was put on Metformin 1x 500 and appeared to tolerate that although I have suffered with relatively minor tummy probs for over 40 years.

I was switched to Sukkarto SR a couple of years ago .

In Feb of this year I was asked to take 2 x500 due to a rise in HBA1C. I now realise that coinciding with this doubling of dose that I started getting very windy in the mornings.

I am on 8 or 9 medications for various things and just tend to swallow them all in the morning as that seems easiest!

About 3 months ago I decided to split my dose of Sukkarto to one in the morning and one in the evening as I read a thread on here suggesting that helps reduce DP.

For the last 10 weeks I have had constant wind and an irritable tummy each day. Appetite, weight, toilet routine spot on.

Could the doubling of dose earlier in the year and more recently splitting the dose, morning and evenings, be the culprit?

So I have decided to stop taking Sukkarto completely and my question is, if Sukkarto is to blame how quickly would that become apparent?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite quickly from what I can recall - I was badly affected by the Metformin and Atorvastatin tablets and was in a bit of a daze when I got really alarmed and threw them away.
I would expect that you'd feel a lot better in under a week, and that the worst symptoms would subside in a day or so.
The most galling thing for me was to realise a few months later that I probably never needed either. I ate a low carb diet and was back to normal at 6 months. I could not be sure at the first retest, at 80 days that there was not some residual benefit, but at 6 months I was fairly confident there was not.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My mother had problems till the end with metformin. but wouldn't/couldn't go low carb instead. It was watching her symptoms that made me determined to cut carbs when I was diagnosed.
It worked very well for me, catching it early and going low carb got me into remission fast - for some others it takes longer but I don't know anyone who didn't benefit from dropping carbs.
If you aren't taking the tablets how are you controlling your diabetes?

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you aren't taking the tablets how are you controlling your diabetes?

I do not follow the NHS regurgitated advice to eat normally and control my type 2 with Metformin. I would imagine that my average daily carb intake is way under 100, sometimes less than 50 or even lower. When my Metformin was doubled to 2 tabs a day, there was no discernable difference in my readings on a daily basis. So coming off them medium term is not a problem.

Reactions: hankjam