How long have you been a diagnosed type 1?

How long have you been a diagnosed type 1?

• Total voters

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I started in 1988, so had the micro fine needles from the start. Feel quite lucky about that.

frankham

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People attached permanently to their mobile 'phones.
Diagnosed April 1961 so Type 1 for 53 years 7 months. No complications.
Started with glass syringe and lengths of steel called needles !
Been a user of a Medtronic pump for last 6 years, vast improvement.

Reactions: 8 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Diagnosed April 1961 so Type 1 for 53 years 7 months. No complications.
Started with glass syringe and lengths of steel called needles !
Been a user of a Medtronic pump for last 6 years, vast improvement.
They weren't needles they was harpoons honest guv, I remember them well unfortunately.

Reactions: 5 people

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
Wow, good for you. I was remembering how bad the needles were in the 80s and buying my own Plastipac disposables instead, Before needle exchanges happened and we managed to get ours on prescription too. Can't really imagine how grim the ones you started on must have been, I'm also on a pump now.Rx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
49 years so far. A few complications but not ready to give up yet!

Reactions: 4 people

Butterflykeri

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
5 and a half weeks......but officially had the type 1 diagnosis for 6 days so all a whirlwind of information at the moment!

Reactions: 2 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
5 and a half weeks......but officially had the type 1 diagnosis for 6 days so all a whirlwind of information at the moment!
I have had mine since September si still very much in honeymoon phasr

rebusuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
40 years , retina laser about 20yrs ago and a little bit of neuropathy in the feet of late.

ManUtdGal!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty!
I was diagnosed aged 3 and have been Type 1 for 43 years now. Used to use a glass syringe and CLINITEST for urine testing as there was no such thing as blood sugar testing!!! There was no internet, mobile phones and we didn't even have a home phone until I was about 14! My brother got Type 1 at 16 but died aged 46 from a blood clot after surgery. My dad had Type 2 at 59 but went on to insulin. He died at 69 from heart failure. I have had ulcers, a toe amputated, hypos galore, hypers, loss of feeling in my feet, laser treatment to my right eye and most other things!!!! But am still here and have 4 gorgeous sons who I am very proud of. I have no friends with Type 1 but have a dear friend with T2 but she lives in Bognor Regis and I live in Northern Ireland now (I'm from West Sussex) and don't know anyone here with it. I did DAFNE in 2010 in Lisburn where I live. If anyone on here lives in Lisburn and fancies a chat let me know ok!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people

Padders91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been diabetic for 9 years, coming up to 10 years soon, all second nature now, don't no what life was befor diabetes, I take my hat off to all of you that have been diagnosed for 20 years+.

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
11 months for me. Doc still testing as negative for antibodies, no family history or any other pointers. Only symptom was weight loss.

Getting better control but still struggling. During the week while at work seems easiest but weekends are hard.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Butterflykeri - you a new LADA? I got my T1 diagnosis two weeks after the T2 Dx. Took me most of the summer to calm down slightly. Good luck with getting your head around it ...

Butterflykeri

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Butterflykeri - you a new LADA? I got my T1 diagnosis two weeks after the T2 Dx. Took me most of the summer to calm down slightly. Good luck with getting your head around it ...
Well I'm 29 but straight into insulin therapy (after just 6 days of trying medication) and they've just said type 1 in honeymoon period xx

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dx at 19 so 19 years ago. My brothers Type 1 too, dx 8 months before me. He was 28. He's had retinopathy in both eyes. And he's still not testing his bloods. I've got some complications at the moment I think. Gastroscopy tomorrow to try and diagnose what though. MDI, carb counting for the last year. MDI fixed doses before that x

ceejayy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
three weeks since i was diagnosed with type 1. I just threw myself into learning all I could. This forum has been an absolute god send. I carb counted to insulin as soon as i was out of hospital. Think the docs and diet folk thought i was a bit of a smart ass but was determined to get a grip on it from the start as my job depends on it. I bought a freestyle libre as i was chewing through strips and that has really helped me get a handle on what works and doesn't for me. I would like to say a huge thank you to you all on this forum ..it has honestly helped me deal with this

Reactions: 4 people

babyboscher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Type 1 - coming up to 9 years. Only a few complications but all been resolved as going strong!