1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How long have you been a diagnosed type 1?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by tim2000s, Nov 1, 2014.

?

How long have you been a diagnosed type 1?

1. Less than 1 year

6.0%
  2. 1 to 5 years

12.0%
  3. 5 to 10 years

6.0%
  4. 10 to 20 years

16.0%
  5. 20 to 30 years

12.0%
  6. 30 to 40 years

22.0%
  7. 40 to 50 years

18.0%
  8. 50+ years

8.0%
  1. schreis

schreis Type 1 · Member

My daughter was diagnosed 9 months ago, it's up and down, she's 5. It's good to see how it affects long term, it's constantly on my mind especially when we trying to stable her and she's high. Reading all comments does give me some hope she will be fine in future.

• Like Like x 8
  2. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I agree, I quit for many years then slowly crept back on them at the weekend along side alcohol, 10 over a Saturday and Sunday, so not as bad as most smokers, but contributing to increased blood pressure none the less........

bring forth the lectures........:)

• Like Like x 2
  3. JasonKingston85

JasonKingston85 Type 1 · Member

I know it is not a good habit, but you know what that is very similar to me.

Although I was not diagnosed at university, and had left four years earlier whilst healthy and not diabetic, I am still a young man and enjoy occasionally having more than a sherry before evensong. I know that this will have to change but that's all a party of growing up.

Jason Age 29 and a half

• Like Like x 5
  4. cally

cally Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I agree! Even now I don't personally know any one else with type 1 ..Except on this forum of course!

• Like Like x 4
  5. McMittens

McMittens Type 1 · Active Member

20 years ish, I think it's just come up to 21 actually now.

• Like Like x 4
  6. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I know three. My cousin, diagnosed 5 years after me, my friend's wife (whom I met 10 yeas ago) and then one other - a guy who works on the same floor as me. That's in 26 years.

7. jojogirl

jojogirl · Active Member

16 years. I was diagnosed aged 9, and i'm 25 now... No obvious complications yet... :) just slight retinopathy prob, but i don't notice it. I never even heard about carb counting until I was about 20! I was told to do the same amount of insulin for each meal, regardless of what I ate! no wonder i had endless hypers and hypos! now much better control, I've just got my Hba1C results back at 8.5% which is great compared to my usual between 9 and 10%! :)

• Like Like x 4
  8. Auckland Canary

Auckland Canary Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It is interesting hearing about meeting other T1's as I hardly ever meet any others. In nearly 32 years there was one boy a year below me in school, the brother of a work colleague who I got friendly with, my wife's cousin who lives in Perth Australia and an American woman on a dive boat in Australia. I only knew she was diabetic as I saw her cannula for her pump as she was putting on her wetsuit.
    There may have been a few others that have slipped my mind but considering that 0.5% of people are T1's then surely we should bump into each other a bit more often?

• Like Like x 4
  9. whitesj

whitesj Type 1 · Newbie

I have also had type 1 for almost 50 years. Very few complications and busy life. Hope this will be an encouragement to those of you who are newly diagnosed. It certainly isn't easy but it can be managed.

• Like Like x 9
  10. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

There isn't any "no carb" debate or diet. As you will see from the many, many posters on this particular topic, nobody has mentioned "no carb".

• Like Like x 2
  11. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

But this posting is just on how long we have been type 1... Nothing to do with low carbs.. Unless you want us long term, few complication T1's to say the qty of carbs we've averaged during our 30-50 years?
    May I suggest please that you start a debate on a different posting..

• Like Like x 2
  12. Donna1

Donna1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

13. lizdeluz

lizdeluz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I used to cut mine into 4, until consultant told me the test was probably no longer valid. I thought that was hogwash, but I also stopped messing around with the scissors. Had better things to do ...... :)

14. lizdeluz

29 years 9 months ago. I was 29 and a part-time teacher with a two-and-a-half year old daughter.
    My eyesight is deteriorating, not sure whether it's advancing years (I'm only 60) or my background retinopathy for which I've had laser treatment on several occasions. My feet feel a bit different. Get heart thumping at night sometimes, think it might be when my bs is descending too rapidly. Otherwise, I'm well.
    I'm on MDI now. I started out in 1985 with the lovely Actrapid and Insulatard and disposable syringes. I never really understood how Actrapid was meant to sort me out for 3 meals, the reason being that I don't think it could. My control was never as good as it now is, and that's due to the brilliant advice from forum members.

15. lizdeluz

A special 'Hi' to a relative newbie then! I was 29 when diagnosed T1, 60 now, still alive and thriving. :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Stephanie.F

Stephanie.F Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've only had type 1 for 3 months I'm a newbie :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Ah, you started out when Insulatard was Protophane in the UK. My first treatment. When I was moved on to mdi it was using the actrapid per meal, and injecting it half an hour before eating.

18. Bogusman

Bogusman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have had it for 29 years now and apart from a bit of background retinopathy laser treatment on my left eye, about 5 years ago, I have, thankfully, had no complications at all. I was 24 when I was diagnosed and I thought a diabetic was someone who couldn't eat chocolate or put sugar in their tea. I had never heard of insulin and knew nothing about the injections or complications. I must admit I do have a kind of laissez-faire attitude, although I must be doing something right and I think luck has a big part in it too. You do read a lot of harrowing stories for some poor people.

19. lizdeluz

Actually, reading the above, jogged my memory: it wasn't Actrapid I was given when diagnosed. It was Velosulin. Just one injection to cover all meals, and a night time Insulatard basal, I think. Or maybe there was another long acting before Insulatard ...

Funny .... I never would have thought it possible to forget my insulins, but there we go, I have! :eek:

20. RHNtype1

RHNtype1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

33 years ago tonight, now on a pump and wish I had been long ago, what a real difference compared to all those multiple injections and the guess work around how much insulin was still hanging around from the last bolus. Lucky enough to have had no severe complications either although a bit fed up as recently positive for celiac too :-( Rx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook