How long have you been a diagnosed type 1?

How long have you been a diagnosed type 1?

• Total voters

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely need to quit the fags Novo, smoking is bad for anyone at the best of times but especially so for people with diabetes as it heightens the risk of complications, anyway,less of the lectures and I wish you success :)

I agree, I quit for many years then slowly crept back on them at the weekend along side alcohol, 10 over a Saturday and Sunday, so not as bad as most smokers, but contributing to increased blood pressure none the less........

bring forth the lectures........:)

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've certainly not been an angel, and the uni episodes where I'd drink 18 pints of Guinness in a night still amaze me that I didn't do myself more harm, but I guess I used to correct, even when off my head. It was a characteristic that people were always shocked at. I'd be suitably, very drunk, then I'd have this sober moment will I gave myself an extra shot to cover what I was drinking. Used to really spook people.

The other issue with carb counting was that when I wanted to eat **** (think bags of wine gums, fruit pastilles, box of ice cream) I was pretty clued up on how much bolus insulin I'd need so overindulging was easy and relatively safe.... And not recommended...

I know it is not a good habit, but you know what that is very similar to me.

Although I was not diagnosed at university, and had left four years earlier whilst healthy and not diabetic, I am still a young man and enjoy occasionally having more than a sherry before evensong. I know that this will have to change but that's all a party of growing up.

Jason Age 29 and a half

Reactions: 5 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I agree! Even now I don't personally know any one else with type 1 ..Except on this forum of course!
I know three. My cousin, diagnosed 5 years after me, my friend's wife (whom I met 10 yeas ago) and then one other - a guy who works on the same floor as me. That's in 26 years.

jojogirl

16 years. I was diagnosed aged 9, and i'm 25 now... No obvious complications yet... :) just slight retinopathy prob, but i don't notice it. I never even heard about carb counting until I was about 20! I was told to do the same amount of insulin for each meal, regardless of what I ate! no wonder i had endless hypers and hypos! now much better control, I've just got my Hba1C results back at 8.5% which is great compared to my usual between 9 and 10%! :)

Reactions: 4 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is interesting hearing about meeting other T1's as I hardly ever meet any others. In nearly 32 years there was one boy a year below me in school, the brother of a work colleague who I got friendly with, my wife's cousin who lives in Perth Australia and an American woman on a dive boat in Australia. I only knew she was diabetic as I saw her cannula for her pump as she was putting on her wetsuit.
There may have been a few others that have slipped my mind but considering that 0.5% of people are T1's then surely we should bump into each other a bit more often?

Reactions: 4 people

whitesj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 over 50 years and only a couple of minor complications and still going strong.

I have also had type 1 for almost 50 years. Very few complications and busy life. Hope this will be an encouragement to those of you who are newly diagnosed. It certainly isn't easy but it can be managed.

Reactions: 9 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Surprise diagnose of type 1 when I was admitted to hospital for colitis. Currently learning what foods suit me best. Low GI seem to be the best so far. Going to see dietician on Monday. I wonder if I can get any clarification on carbs vs no carbs debate.

There isn't any "no carb" debate or diet. As you will see from the many, many posters on this particular topic, nobody has mentioned "no carb".

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
But this posting is just on how long we have been type 1... Nothing to do with low carbs.. Unless you want us long term, few complication T1's to say the qty of carbs we've averaged during our 30-50 years?
May I suggest please that you start a debate on a different posting..

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, used to do them in two. Three was too small...

I used to cut mine into 4, until consultant told me the test was probably no longer valid. I thought that was hogwash, but I also stopped messing around with the scissors. Had better things to do ...... :)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
29 years 9 months ago. I was 29 and a part-time teacher with a two-and-a-half year old daughter.
My eyesight is deteriorating, not sure whether it's advancing years (I'm only 60) or my background retinopathy for which I've had laser treatment on several occasions. My feet feel a bit different. Get heart thumping at night sometimes, think it might be when my bs is descending too rapidly. Otherwise, I'm well.
I'm on MDI now. I started out in 1985 with the lovely Actrapid and Insulatard and disposable syringes. I never really understood how Actrapid was meant to sort me out for 3 meals, the reason being that I don't think it could. My control was never as good as it now is, and that's due to the brilliant advice from forum members.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
29 years 9 months ago. I was 29 and a part-time teacher with a two-and-a-half year old daughter.
My eyesight is deteriorating, not sure whether it's advancing years (I'm only 60) or my background retinopathy for which I've had laser treatment on several occasions. My feet feel a bit different. Get heart thumping at night sometimes, think it might be when my bs is descending too rapidly. Otherwise, I'm well.
I'm on MDI now. I started out in 1985 with the lovely Actrapid and Insulatard and disposable syringes. I never really understood how Actrapid was meant to sort me out for 3 meals, the reason being that I don't think it could. My control was never as good as it now is, and that's due to the brilliant advice from forum members.
Ah, you started out when Insulatard was Protophane in the UK. My first treatment. When I was moved on to mdi it was using the actrapid per meal, and injecting it half an hour before eating.

Bogusman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
I have had it for 29 years now and apart from a bit of background retinopathy laser treatment on my left eye, about 5 years ago, I have, thankfully, had no complications at all. I was 24 when I was diagnosed and I thought a diabetic was someone who couldn't eat chocolate or put sugar in their tea. I had never heard of insulin and knew nothing about the injections or complications. I must admit I do have a kind of laissez-faire attitude, although I must be doing something right and I think luck has a big part in it too. You do read a lot of harrowing stories for some poor people.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, you started out when Insulatard was Protophane in the UK. My first treatment. When I was moved on to mdi it was using the actrapid per meal, and injecting it half an hour before eating.

Actually, reading the above, jogged my memory: it wasn't Actrapid I was given when diagnosed. It was Velosulin. Just one injection to cover all meals, and a night time Insulatard basal, I think. Or maybe there was another long acting before Insulatard ...

Funny .... I never would have thought it possible to forget my insulins, but there we go, I have! :eek:

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
33 years ago tonight, now on a pump and wish I had been long ago, what a real difference compared to all those multiple injections and the guess work around how much insulin was still hanging around from the last bolus. Lucky enough to have had no severe complications either although a bit fed up as recently positive for celiac too :-( Rx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
Yes, for me Insulatard and Velosulin were the ones too, also awful thick and clumsy needles and urine tests with a wee sort of chemistry set rather than blood tests.Different world.LOL.Rx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App