How long it takes to bring down bg level to normal?

manish0688

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been diagnosed with T2 two years back. It was well controlled but for the past 2-3 months, readings have spiked without any significant change in the diet. Medication remains as it is. Throughout the day it remains in the range of 200-230. How long does it take to bring down levels back to normal. Seems, it has started affecting my vision.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are maintaining a low carb diet then it might be a good idea to contact your doctor.
I found that eating 50 gm of carbs a day maximum had already reduced my blood glucose levels down to below 8 most of the time (that would be less that 150 ) soon after diagnosis and it then drifted downwards. It has stayed down there ever since, so I think you need to seek further tests in your circumstances.

Reactions: manish0688

manish0688

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you are maintaining a low carb diet then it might be a good idea to contact your doctor.
I found that eating 50 gm of carbs a day maximum had already reduced my blood glucose levels down to below 8 most of the time (that would be less that 150 ) soon after diagnosis and it then drifted downwards. It has stayed down there ever since, so I think you need to seek further tests in your circumstances.
Thanks, Diet is something which I am focusing more now. Though being a vegetarian and three low carb meals a day, left with the only option to reduce the intake. As you said, I might have to visit a doctor to know why the numbers stays at the same level.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
I would look at diet like you said,

Too much protein can also cause BG spikes.

If I was you maybe skip one of the meals and see of the BG drops.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Too much protein can also cause BG spikes.

Could you provide some evidence for that? My virtually carnivore diet results in BG flat lining. Not a spike in sight unless I go off piste.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got Covid but it is been a while now. Lockdown and winter definitely impacted exercise routine.
Just wondering what could keep the numbers at the same level throughout the day.

I have seen a few people on here who have had Covid but are getting odd spikes long after it appears to have gone away. @PenguinMum is one.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Could you provide some evidence for that? My virtually carnivore diet results in BG flat lining. Not a spike in sight unless I go off piste.

Hi

Here is one journal I found.

http://journal.diabetes.org/diabete...etabolism,additional small amounts of insulin.

I was trying to have excess protein to build muscle, as the more muscle you have the better your insulin sensitivity is.

They recommend 1.2-1.7 grams per KG of body to build muscle. I tried 2.5 grams. I personally found with low carb, I have no spikes but when I increased my protein up to 2.5 grams per kg, I found my BG levels was rising.

I also found it was taking my out of Keto as well, I measure my ketones levels as well as blood glucose.

But when I dropped back to 1.5 grams give or take my blood glucose level returned to normal and I was in keto.

It is very hard to consume a lot that amount of protein though. Bare in mind a chicken breast is about 31 grams of protein (100 grams of chicken).

So my target at the was 200 grams (6 chicken breast give or take), which is a lot of protein, compared too. 120 grams which is what I should ideally have gone for.

I hope this long winded reply make sense.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Here is one journal I found.

http://journal.diabetes.org/diabetesspectrum/00v13n3/pg132.htm#:~:text=Protein requires insulin for metabolism,additional small amounts of insulin.

I was trying to have excess protein to build muscle, as the more muscle you have the better your insulin sensitivity is.

They recommend 1.2-1.7 grams per KG of body to build muscle. I tried 2.5 grams. I personally found with low carb, I have no spikes but when I increased my protein up to 2.5 grams per kg, I found my BG levels was rising.

I also found it was taking my out of Keto as well, I measure my ketones levels as well as blood glucose.

But when I dropped back to 1.5 grams give or take my blood glucose level returned to normal and I was in keto.

It is very hard to consume a lot that amount of protein though. Bare in mind a chicken breast is about 31 grams of protein (100 grams of chicken).

So my target at the was 200 grams (6 chicken breast give or take), which is a lot of protein, compared too. 120 grams which is what I should ideally have gone for.

I hope this long winded reply make sense.

Thanks for the reply, but that article does not support the assertion that ‘too much protein can also cause BG spikes.’ The following are direct quotes from the linked article:

‘Gannon and Nuttall point out that, shortly after that calculation was reported, a number of researchers showed that the ingestion of protein by subjects with and without diabetes did not result in an increase in blood glucose levels.’

‘As an example, as early as 1936, Conn and Newburgh5 reported no effect on blood glucose levels after a meal containing a large amount of protein in the form of lean beef.’

‘The finding that protein did not raise blood glucose levels seems to have been lost or misinterpreted over the years.’

‘in people with well-controlled diabetes, minimal amounts of hepatic glucose are released into the general circulation after the ingestion of protein.’

‘the carbohydrate content of the meal is the main determinant of the peak glucose response.’

‘Perhaps 50–60% of protein goes through the process of gluconeogenesis in the liver, but virtually none of this glucose enters into the general circulation.’

sgm14

Seems, it has started affecting my vision.

I would strongly recommend talking to your doctor.

I was on metformin which worked fine for the first couple of years, but then my blood sugar starting rising and I spent too long trying to sort it out myself (by tweaking my diet). Finally went back to my doctor when it started affecting my eyesight and a week later I was started on insulin. Now my carb intake is normally less than 100 per day, but I still need insulin.

May not be the same for you, but there is no point risking your eyesight.