How long to recover

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Last week I had an odd virus, nausea dizzy tired muscle fatigue. Although I can now eat I still feel exhausted. This is my first bug really since diagnosis and I was wondering if this was normal, for recovery to take longer??

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Mark_Goldenfield_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there ! I have been diabetic 33 years . I notice when I get a virus of any sort , it does take longer to heal due to having Diabetes which is unfortunate. Just hang in there you will get better

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
Even the common cold hits me pretty hard. That's why I absolutely avoid getting sick as much as possible. I used to get sick for a couple of days, but now it stretches out into a week.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To be honest, I don't seem to take any longer than anyone else I know to shake off bugs. Effects of viruses are very dependent on the virus.

The other thing that does make a difference is your glucose levels. If you aren't running in a vaguely normal range for most of the time, then it can be harder to shake off a virus. If you typically run high, it is often a great deal harder.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I've only had one flu episode since diagnosis (~ 4 years ago) and it was a nightmare took 5 days to recover and blood sugar was continually on the rise. It was during Xmas holidays and I was off for 2 weeks and ended up with the Flu/ virus. Normally I'm cycling in all weathers and this keeps all manner of virus's away. The whole office went down with the flu a couple of years ago and I remained unaffected.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Last week I had an odd virus, nausea dizzy tired muscle fatigue. Although I can now eat I still feel exhausted. This is my first bug really since diagnosis and I was wondering if this was normal, for recovery to take longer??

I think it depends how recently you were diagnosed and how your blood sugars are. I felt quite battered for mo ths after diagnosis as I think my body was recovering. A bug then would have hit me harder because of that.

Now they don't take any longer to shift as long as I manage to keep my BS down.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've only had one flu episode since diagnosis (~ 4 years ago) and it was a nightmare took 5 days to recover and blood sugar was continually on the rise. It was during Xmas holidays and I was off for 2 weeks and ended up with the Flu/ virus. Normally I'm cycling in all weathers and this keeps all manner of virus's away. The whole office went down with the flu a couple of years ago and I remained unaffected.
Flu is hard for whoever gets it though. My other half got swine flu and it took her out for three weeks.

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for all your responses, by blood sugars run between 6 and 9 on the whole my 30 day AV is 7.9. I'm 9 months in which feels a long time I m still adjusting. I have managed to avoid some bugs but this one has floored me, still tired now 2 weeks on. Going away next week may be the best medicine??!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Going away next week may be the best medicine??!!

Sure it will be, enjoy the break:)

Last time I was really ill was when I had flu several years back, was so ill I couldn't lift my head off the pillow, it did take a few weeks to recover fully so I'm certain recovery is dependant on how severe the symptoms are, for colds and less serious ailments I usually recover very well just the same as someone who doesn't have diabetes.