How low carb can you go?

Nikkig

Since my diagnosis nearly two weeks ago I have been reducing my carbs, first to 150, but as I learned on this site, that did not work. Reduced to 50 and it had reduced to readings around 9. Ate only 35 today but reading 2 hrs post meal was 8.8 how low can one go?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
You can go zero carb if you really wanted to (although it makes sense to eat at least some vegetables).

I'm down to about 10-20g a day, but sometimes I don't eat any.

The only carbs I do eat come from a bit of salad, an avocado or two and some spinach. I ran 5 miles in the heat through central London yesterday. I'm didn't die.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
If you were only diagnosed a couple of weeks ago you are still likely to be at a stage where you have a residual "background" glucose count as I would totally unmedically describe it. From a low 20's start it took me 6 to 8 weeks at 50/60g to consistently get all readings under 8 so if you did 35g and got 8.8 at this point then you may find you are actually do rather well. You are certainly beating where I was after the same period of time. borofergie is right you can go as low as you want but you may find it hard to do that to start so I would balance your eagerness to get your BG's really down against any cravings you start to develop for carby stuff. I found those cravings vanished after a few weeks when I suddenly realises it was pointless using so much of your daily carb allowance on such a small about of starchy whatever and I'd just eat more of other things instead.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
That's a good point. How long have you been trying?

I was diagnosed with BG of 24.6 mmol/l. I went <30g immediately and it took me a couple of weeks before my BG dipped below 7mmol/l and another couple of weeks before it stayed there.

Give it some time to work.

Nikkig

Thank you borofergie and Xyzzy for your help! May 18 I was give the diagnosis with a reading of 19.4 -being obviously shocked I took control. Although I have just spent a week in Cornwall, I religiously recorded the nutritional content of everything I ate. Todays morning reading was 8.8 and two hours after lunch 6.8 on a total of 15 carbs. I don't miss carbs much (oh alright, I lie like a Persian rug!)

I'm feeling ok but have had a headache so I snacked on celery and cheese ( in the past I would have had a slice of bread!)

However , I felt totally decadent this morning as I guiltlessly tucked into strawberries and clotted cream for breakfast! :)