How low is too low?

tom_r_orr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I have been type 2 for about 10 years but had no real symptoms until about 2 years ago, when I was put on 3 x 500g Metformin. All I had till then was just numbers on an annual test, so didn't take it all that seriously.. All my readings were very high and at 5 feet 7 I weighed 95 kilos. About a year ago I started cutting out the basic carbs, (bread, rice, potatoes etc) and a gradual elimination of sugary snacks, cake, desserts etc. My goal is 75 Kg.

I have so far lost 12 Kg (nearly 2 stones) and my readings vary from 5 to 7. HBa1C is down from 12 to 7.7 about 6 months ago so will have another one soon, am expecting a lower result. I test fasting BS in mornings and randomly throughout the week and I have been quite pleased so far as they are on a steady downward, gradual trend, but recently I had a 8 AM reading of 2.4 the lowest ever. The night before I skipped dinner and drank a few too many beers instead (well it was 35 degrees outside!) and woke up to this very low reading. I felt good, no ill effects (I don't get hangovers at all).

My question is, does a low reading like this overnight carry a risk? I am aware the alcohol can play a part in low readings but never had such a low one. Should I be gradually reducing the metformin which I would love to do?

Am I doing too much? I walk at least 5 Km every day, on serious low carb high fat, and take metformin. I should add the many beers is not a common practice!

Thanks

Reactions: kokhongw

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I have been type 2 for about 10 years but had no real symptoms until about 2 years ago, when I was put on 3 x 500g Metformin. All I had till then was just numbers on an annual test, so didn't take it all that seriously.. All my readings were very high and at 5 feet 7 I weighed 95 kilos. About a year ago I started cutting out the basic carbs, (bread, rice, potatoes etc) and a gradual elimination of sugary snacks, cake, desserts etc. My goal is 75 Kg.

I have so far lost 12 Kg (nearly 2 stones) and my readings vary from 5 to 7. HBa1C is down from 12 to 7.7 about 6 months ago so will have another one soon, am expecting a lower result. I test fasting BS in mornings and randomly throughout the week and I have been quite pleased so far as they are on a steady downward, gradual trend, but recently I had a 8 AM reading of 2.4 the lowest ever. The night before I skipped dinner and drank a few too many beers instead (well it was 35 degrees outside!) and woke up to this very low reading. I felt good, no ill effects (I don't get hangovers at all).

My question is, does a low reading like this overnight carry a risk? I am aware the alcohol can play a part in low readings but never had such a low one. Should I be gradually reducing the metformin which I would love to do?

Am I doing too much? I walk at least 5 Km every day, on serious low carb high fat, and take metformin. I should add the many beers is not a common practice!

Thanks
hi @tom_r_orr sounds like you are doing everything right and seeing the positive results -so well done !

I wouldn't worry unduly about that reading, BG can fluctuate a lot throughout the day and if you had skipped dinner, consumed alcohol and had your meds then you could well get a random reading first thing. See if it happens again would be my advice :)

My Hubby is T2 (I'm not although I also low carb) I once had a reading of 2.9 after exercise, had to admit that was a bit low for me as I felt quite dizzy but we are all individuals. Hubby dropped his HbA1c from 12 to 7.7 by low-carbing (no meds) Personally I would see what your next HbA1c is and ask if you can reduce your Metformin. You probably don't need to be on that dose :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Thanks

I would agree it was a rogue reading, due to the circumstances you have posted.
If it was a reading which is in hypoglycaemic levels, you would have had some symptoms of such readings, if you believe that you have had a similar or too high readings, then wash your hands and retest.