How low?

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all - Just wondering if people would share how low their lowest blood sugar was. Purely interested to see - mine dropped to 1.8 earlier which is my lowest ever. I just wondered how low it would've had to have been to be in serious trouble? I was looking after my 10 year old at the time who has just had an operation! Thanks in advance

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Hi @Medusa41 I've had a 0.8 reading before when I was in hospital for a check up when pregnant with my daughter. I've also had 'LO' displayed on my meter, where it's been too low for my meter to give me a reading.

I think any reading below 3.8 is dangerous, especially depending on the situation and circumstances. For example if you were driving or asleep

Reactions: Freema and Medusa41

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Medusa41 I've had a 0.8 reading before when I was in hospital for a check up when pregnant with my daughter. I've also had 'LO' displayed on my meter, where it's been too low for my meter to give me a reading.

I think any reading below 3.8 is dangerous, especially depending on the situation and circumstances. For example if you were driving or asleep

Thank you @kimrooney89 - wow 0.8 Yes I agree. I felt it coming on but never anticipated it being that low! Thanks for replying

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @Medusa41

My lowest was "only" 2.6 and that was bad enough. I was ill at the time and it took 3hrs to get it back above 3.9 because I had IOB, but I kept vomiting everything I ate/drank. Scary at the time and was close to calling 999 as I didn't know if i could reverse it.

I hope your child gets well speedily and you don't feel too rotten yourself.

Reactions: Freema

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive had my metre tell me LO and I think that anything less than 1. I've been fine to treat that most of the time. But there was that one time I needed a paramedic to wake me up when my levels were unreadably low.

1.8 is pretty low. Hope you treated it and are sorted now. I expect it was stress and I hope your son is recovering well from the op.

There's not like a specific number when you cross it that's when you are "in trouble". The same number might effect you differently on different occasions., so next time you might need help if you end up down there again. The important thing is to treat every hypo nice and quick so you aren't playing with fire and dropping that low.

Reactions: Freema

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't feel that a low reading is as dangerous as the speed and reason for sugars going low is.
I've been down to 1.8 whilst sitting at home watching TV , felt low and self treated but was ultimately in total control throughout.
Have been busy at work, suddenly realised I was in trouble and only had a few minutes to get sorted before I lost control. Checked BS whilst drinking glucose and was surprised to be at 3.1 or thereabouts.
@Medusa41 hope your young one is doing ok and you take care and keep checking.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive had my metre tell me LO and I think that anything less than 1. I've been fine to treat that most of the time. But there was that one time I needed a paramedic to wake me up when my levels were unreadably low.

1.8 is pretty low. Hope you treated it and are sorted now. I expect it was stress and I hope your son is recovering well from the op.

There's not like a specific number when you cross it that's when you are "in trouble". The same number might effect you differently on different occasions., so next time you might need help if you end up down there again. The important thing is to treat every hypo nice and quick so you aren't playing with fire and dropping that low.

Thanks @catapillar - yes I felt fine after 15 minutes but saw spots in my eyes & was sweating profusely! I recently changed the ratios on my pump due to being less active over Christmas! Awoke high & obvs over-corrected as sugars dropped from 14 to 1.8 in just over an hour!!! Never been that low in 8 years! Thank you.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @therower - yes have been checking lots - all 5s & 8s since. Yes I know what you mean - frightening how fast mine dropped. Thanks - daughter was in pain at the time from tonsils & adenoids out & was asking for meds whilst I was hypoing - she ended up getting me a juice & sweets! Hubby & son only out for 20 mins! Typical! Thanks for the reply

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Remember waking with a bg reading of 1.6 with my very first bg meter, not been as low as that since.......thankfully.

Reactions: Medusa41