How Low?

sue32

Dislikes
false people
Hi guys. Wonder if anyone's got any idea how low can a blood test reading go before a hypo sets in? I've gone as low as 2.9 before getting any symptoms of a hypo. Is this 'normal'? Most times I can get to 3.4 and not have any symptoms either. :p :p :p

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sue.
Here is a copy of one of may answers regarding low blood sugar levels, Hypoglycaemia and also hypo unawareness I tend to post around here.......... :D If you search on the Forum (top right) you will find loads more.

Every Diabetic should make sure that their Bg levels don't drop below 4 mmol/l as below that is considered to be Hypoglycaemic, something to be avoided. I prefer my levels to between 5-7 two hours after meals then I avoid hypo symptoms which for me start at around 4.5 mmol/l.

If you are in the 4's and you feel OK then I wouldn't worry too much, however if you have no hypo symptoms when lower then your hypo awareness may be not good. Something to consider if you drive or operate machinery as low Bg levels can have a detrimental effect on dexterity, concentration etc.

2.9 mmol/l is definitely hypo ground, it sounds like you may be running your Bg levels too low if you get no hypo symptoms until that very low point. When I hit 2.4 mmol/l once I knew it was coming and I felt dreadful !!!

Ken

sue32

Dislikes
false people
Thanks Ken. I like to try and keep my readings between 4 and 5.5. I do know the signs of a hypo and test my blood immediately. Sometimes the initial symptoms pass so I leave it and test a bit later. I think I'm getting a bit paranoid don't you? I've done so well with all this since starting the Byetta and losing so much weight maybe I'm taking it a bit too far. I've read the thread that says too low a reading can be worse than too high, and those with a consistently low reading can face an earlier death. What are your thoughts on that? :) :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sue.
As someone who over the last 6 months has suffered many hypos due to medication issues, no I don't think it is paranoid. Once you get the symptoms.....test ! There are the limits we should normally function in, a wide range from 4 to 8.5 mmol/l as a Type 2.

Now if you were a Type 1 then those low levels can lead to unconciousness, coma and without putting too fine a point on it Death if it isn't dealt with properly. I cannot say at what point all those symptoms will cut in as we are all individual in how our bodies will react.

As a Type 2, then you like me will usually get to a trigger point at a low level where your body will say, " Bl**dy hell ! and dump glucose into your blood stream so causing your Bg levels to rise, therefore you are in no danger from Coma and Death in those circumstances. However it can happen if not treated and you are on Insulin user. However, if you drive or operate machinery you could be a danger to yourself and others, due to the impairment of your cognitive functions.

High's or Low's are not good things at all !

Ken

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Our Forum Monitor has explained very well and as T2 I can tell you I will endevour to keep my BG levels above 4 but below 8 ... not always easy to achieve for me until I was prescribed Victoza. Now I mainly have better control in both directions.

Just a thought here ... are you taking any other meds that could mask the usual hypo signs? If you are, then you might have your answer as to why you go so low before squiffy.