How many calories?

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
How many calories have you had suggested to eat?
By your Dr, nurse, or other professional involved in your diabetes ?

Reactions: Donna85

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve had absolutely no advice and quite frankly wouldn’t take kindly to being given any. Carbohydrates are my concern and good control of those gives me a reasonable calorie intake. I’m 64 and have managed very well up to now.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Are you getting carb intake muddled up with calorie intake , calories only really need monitoring if you are overweight , diabetic or not .

Reactions: flonvic and cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Are you getting carb intake muddled up with calorie intake , calories only really need monitoring if you are overweight , diabetic or not .
My diabetes educator dietician said to eat 1300 calories and gave me a food plan containing over 200 grams of carbs!

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
My diabetes educator dietician said to eat 1300 calories and gave me a food plan containing over 200 grams of carbs!
I was told 50 yrs ago to aim for 200 carbs a day so I guess they know what their talking about as it hasn't changed .

Reactions: flonvic and cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't understand. I can't be the only person who had calorie recommendations.
Everytime I went to a dietician even before becoming diabetic received a calorie recommendation.
Here tho where I live now is 1300 the rest said no lower than 1500 and 1 said 1600.

Reactions: flonvic

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
You are not the only person I believe it’s very common and very bad advice (opinion), from my research (YouTube videos of Dr Jason Fung lol) if you reduce you calories to 1300, you may lose weight but your metabolism will adjust down and eventually you will need to reduce calories further to continue losing weight or even stay the same, you therefore will tend to start to regain the weight at 1300 and give up, understandably.

I believe it’s better to keep your calories higher but reduce your carbs, this reduces your insulin excretion to deal with said carbs and your metabolism is then allowed to use your stored energy (fat).

I am however not a professional so what would I know, I’m sure the professionals have done much more and better research. This is my interpretation of Dr Fung. Best of luck finding your answers.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Do you see the dietician for diabetes or to lose weight?
For weight loss for all the recommendations except for the 1300 calorie it was for diabetes.
The 1600 was in an Ed program.
The 1500 calorie ones for weight loss.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77 and flonvic

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You are not the only person I believe it’s very common and very bad advice (opinion), from my research (YouTube videos of Dr Jason Fung lol) if you reduce you calories to 1300, you may lose weight but your metabolism will adjust down and eventually you will need to reduce calories further to continue losing weight or even stay the same, you therefore will tend to start to regain the weight at 1300 and give up, understandably.

I believe it’s better to keep your calories higher but reduce your carbs, this reduces your insulin excretion to deal with said carbs and your metabolism is then allowed to use your stored energy (fat).

I am however not a professional so what would I know, I’m sure the professionals have done much more and better research. This is my interpretation of Dr Fung. Best of luck finding your answers.
In the Ed program I was in they said just eat a healthy amount of calories and let your body go where it goes. And forget the diets.
So this actually goes against the diabetes advice I got but maybe it is actually better. It goes kind of with what your sayng too about reducing calories.
But I wish I could go lower carb but with many food intolerances and extremely tight food budget amount it just isn't an option for me.
That's why I only really get to go with the calorie thing.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you looked at intermittent fasting? I have found it amazing. It’s free, obviously I don’t know you personal circumstances and everything I’ve said is just my understanding of YouTube videos, maybe it would be worth an hour of your time to see if anything Dr Fung says would work for you.

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

"Intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people are not offended."

Author unkown
This is the biggest problem with the NHS. They are stuck in the 70's with their advice, driven by the low data high carb food industry.
In 2000, I was incredibly obese. 28 stone, nearly 400 lb and was with a dietician with weekly weigh ins. If I was losing more than 2lb a week I had to eat more carb, no discusion, no leaway, eat more carbs.

At that time I ignored the dietician and did my own "diet" after research. The following 20 weeks I lost 6 stone, 84 lb, an average of 4.2 l a week.

Cut the xarbs, lose weight and get healthy.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have you looked at intermittent fasting? I have found it amazing. It’s free, obviously I don’t know you personal circumstances and everything I’ve said is just my understanding of YouTube videos, maybe it would be worth an hour of your time to see if anything Dr Fung says would work for you.
I think I'm fasting already?
I eat last at night at 7 sometimes 9pm. Then nothing to noon the next day.
But yes I will go look up Dr fung.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
When I look at a low carb diet I can't figure out how I can make it work.
Here are my obstacles:

-No teeth
-Beef and pork and dairy intolerances
-$2 maximum a day for food spend

So this likely leaves me with melted cheese, smooth peanut butter, scrambled eggs.
Poultry cottage cheese and most vegetables are atrocious priced.
So the question becomes
Can I live on pb, eggs and cheese? When these things are on sale.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Do you see the dietician for diabetes or to lose weight?
Actually right now I don't see her.
But it's for diabetes. When I do.
Idky she gave me a high carb calorie controlled plan.
I guess because I'm obese too.
But losing 60 pounds didn't do a thing.

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

6 toes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Here are my obstacles:

-No teeth

So this likely leaves me with melted cheese, smooth peanut butter, scrambled eggs.
So the question becomes
Tuna is a go to for me could eat all day.

Chicken and fish ill have green veg (brocoli, raw spinach etc). Plenty of eggs (boiled, omelette, scrambled etc).

I try to avoid processed foods with sugar and carbs so these fill me up and don't worry about calories as 2 meals a day and no snacking.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Here are my obstacles:

-No teeth

So the question becomes
Tuna is reasonably priced and can be added to a salad. I always check the supermarket chillers where produce that is about to reach its sell by date is dumped. You can pick up real bargains there and most of it can be frozen to give you extra time to use it.

Cauliflower is a staple - cheap, and versatile. Cauliflower cheese is filling, nutritious and ticks the low carb boxes, expecially if made with Philadelphia cheese thinned with cream. I know Philly is pricey, but it stretches over several meals and is versatile.
Cauliflower mash is absolutely delicious made with cream, salt, pepper and butter. Again cream and butter are on the pricey side but stretch to multiple meals.

Wishing you happy hunting in the marked down section - late at night, just before closing is a great time to check as many supermarkets / corner stores put out the items then, ready for the next day.

Reactions: cdpm