How many carbs per day should you be having in a low carb diet

SamD1994

Hi bud, sorry for super late reply. Yeah I'm trying to reduce carbs and up protein as I have heard taking in leas carbs and sugar can have great health benefits just clearing up problems and some with eyes.

I'm currently getting eye injection, on my 4 out of 5th but the laser has left some scarring and I now have snow/ static like speckles in my vision which I can see when I really focus or look at the sky or blank surface .

I'm just desperate to get my eyes back to normal, I'm also taking vitamin B12 and cod liver which has vitamin A and D in
@SamD1994 - Obviously as a T1, you usually have quite a bit of flexibility, in thers of how you eat (provided you bolus accordingly), however, having expressed a desire to explore a lower carb diet, I would just like to post a couple of things to consider.

Firstly, if you intend to alter your diet a fair amount, please ensure you test a lot, to ensure your bloods remain in safe ranges. As you might expect, lower carb consumption can lead to less insulin use, but it can also lead to lower blood sugars; particularly whilst your body gets used to things and whilst you get used to dosing differently.

Secondly, if you are considering a step change to your diet, it could be worthwhile considering a steady, may some might think, slower approach, as some folks have found their eyes can be impacted adversely, usually in the shorter term. As you have already had a skirmish with the Opthalmology chaps, you'd likely want to limit putting yourself under to much strain.

If I recall correctly, @Mel dCP reduced her carbs a lot and has had great outcomes, but I also think she might have had something show up on a routine retinopathy screening, before it resolved itself.

Mal, I do apologise if I misremember about your eyes, but I feel certain your other health outcomes from reducing your carbs were excellent.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
SamD1994, I had a flame hemorrhage in front of my optic nerve when I was in my mid-20's. Scary stuff. My blind spot is a squiggly line. Eventually, my brain stopped paying attention to it.

You might find this interview on macular degeneration of interest...

Getting the processed foods out of your diet is an excellent goal. You've got a bit of a learning curve ahead of you but it gets easier with time. And you'll feel so much better. I started LCHF/Keto diet on 30 - 42 carbs a day. I probably eat closer to the 40 - 60 carb range today, 4 1/2 years later.

Last edited:

Spongology

A daily limit of 0.7 to 2 ounces (20 to 60 grams) of carbohydrates is typical with a low-carb diet. These amounts of carbohydrates provide 80 to 240 calories. Some low-carb diets greatly restrict carbs during the initial phase of the diet and then gradually increase the number of allowed carbs. However, different people will have a different opinion and it's up to you.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
The only successful diabetic bodybuilders are those that are insulin-dependant. The injected insulin help glucose and other nutrients to enter their muscle cells much much more efficiently.