How many carbs per day?

Pamstrachan

3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with prediabetes. My normally, very good GP has told me very little, just to get on with it and come back in 6 months.

So, I'm getting on with. Bought diabetes for dummies and the carbs and cal book.
I'm 70, weigh 10st 10 and am 5ft 5ins.

I am a compulsive binge eater attending overeaters anonymous.

Yesterday decided to carb count and aimed
Between 35 and 60 carbs. Managed 70 carbs and was shocked at how fast it added up.

Would really appreciate any advice on the amount of carbs I should eat per day.

Thanks

Reactions: ziggy_w

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with prediabetes. My normally, very good GP has told me very little, just to get on with it and come back in 6 months.

So, I'm getting on with. Bought diabetes for dummies and the carbs and cal book.
I'm 70, weigh 10st 10 and am 5ft 5ins.

I am a compulsive binge eater attending overeaters anonymous.

Yesterday decided to carb count and aimed
Between 35 and 60 carbs. Managed 70 carbs and was shocked at how fast it added up.

Would really appreciate any advice on the amount of carbs I should eat per day.

Thanks

I reversed my diabetic symptoms on about 100 to 130 grams of carbs per day. It worked surprisingly quickly. To do this, apart from stopping the more obvious stuff, I stopped eating cereal, porridge, potatos, pasta, rice and almost all bread. I also cut fruit right down to just one apple or satsuma per day plus berries. But yes, after that it is surprising how quickly they got up on the residual stuff.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have to find out own way with carbs. We are all different and tolerate carbs differently. I would recomment downloading the mysugar app and recording your food and readings. If you are not taking readings, you need a glucose meter. Trust me o this. On diagnosis, I went keto, less than 20g of carb per day,but Iwas starting with a high nuber. It worked for me, not for everyone.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I second the advice that you need a meter. The testing will help you work out how many carbs you should be aiming for. I went very low carb- less than 20 grams a day. The trick for me is to base a meal on something with very low or no c arbs- meat, fish for example and then add a few veggies which will contain carbs The easy bit with food that has no carbs is you can just eat until you are satisfied- no weighing or anything.

Welcome.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's no right level - we need to find what works for us as we're all different. Getting a meter will tell you how carbs affect your glucose levels, so use that to guide you and set targets. It depends too on how many or few carbs you can manage long term, so it's sometimes easier to start off highish - say around 100g - and work your way down.

I didn't count initially, I just cut out all the obvious foods high in starch and sugar. I now know what I can eat, and my daily carbohydrate intake will vary from around 50g down to under 20g.

Don't forget that you must also adjust your (normal full) fat consumption to replace the energy you'll no longer be getting from carbs - it's a sort of balancing act!

Reactions: Pamstrachan

Pamstrachan

Thank you, that's very helpful
I reversed my diabetic symptoms on about 100 to 130 grams of carbs per day. It worked surprisingly quickly. To do this, apart from stopping the more obvious stuff, I stopped eating cereal, porridge, potatos, pasta, rice and almost all bread. I also cut fruit right down to just one apple or satsuma per day plus berries. But yes, after that it is surprising how quickly they got up on the residual stuff.

Pamstrachan

Thank you. I will follow this up.
We have to find out own way with carbs. We are all different and tolerate carbs differently. I would recomment downloading the mysugar app and recording your food and readings. If you are not taking readings, you need a glucose meter. Trust me o this. On diagnosis, I went keto, less than 20g of carb per day,but Iwas starting with a high nuber. It worked for me, not for everyone.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only glanced at it. Does 14 mean anything.

I can go back to my doctor if it would be helpful?
14 is fairly unlikely to be your HbA1c for a pre-diabetes diagnosis..Did the doc take a finger prick test as well? That could have been 14 mmol/l which is pretty high for pre-diabetes.

Pamstrachan

No, I only had a blood test. I am going back to see a diabetic nurse in a couple of weeks and I am going to ask again for my test results.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I only had a blood test. I am going back to see a diabetic nurse in a couple of weeks and I am going to ask again for my test results.
Try and get them printed out so you have a hard copy to refer to.
What country do you live in?