How many carbs per day?

Rugiles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m 15 and me and my mom often argue that I eat to many carbs per day. I eat about 130-150, is that too much?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a T1 you can theoretically eat as many as you want (well to a certain extent - too much food (for anyone) can cause weight gain obviously) if you can bolus for it.

I probably used to have about 200 a day, have reduced that recently mainly because I was starting to get a belly (and given I've now been working from home for a while now I can cook here whereas I couldn't when at the office for lunch). I also find my control easier to control with a lesser amount of carbs (120-150), but that's just me

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m 15 and me and my mom often argue that I eat to many carbs per day. I eat about 130-150, is that too much?
Hi @Rugiles , and welcome to the forum!

Do you know why your mum wants you to eat fewer carbs?

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst that amount per day may be quite suitable for a 'medium' low carb diet - it could be all in chocolate, fruit, porridge. You need to give us a bit more info.

Apart from the debatable benefits of low carbing, the single benefit for a T1 is that the lower the carbs, the lower the insulin requirement and the less extreme any side effect from over/under dosing. EG if you are eating a 50g meal and miscalculate by 50% (not difficult if you don't know what's in the meal precisely) you would be risking spiking if you don't take enough or a hypo if you take too much.

FWIW as an old geezer with no energy I limit myself generally to 80-100g per day. If I were an energetic 15yo I suspect things would be different. You may need advice on what to eat to give you the energy but not at the expense of high carbs.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me, the number of carbs I eat are irrelevant.
What is important is my blood sugar management - know when to inject insulin and how much for the food that you are eating.
Some find this is easy to achieve with lower carbs but if you are not experiencing lots of highs or lows and have a HbA1C that your consultant is happy with, I do not believe someone with Type 1 diabetes needs to restrict their carbs.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do eat low carb because I prefer to focus on the good stuff i.e. fats and proteins. That and I do not want to eat things with barcodes on nor have to weigh out carby ingredients.
I also train as its my job but I am a nearly 50 something woman so my energy needs are much lower than yours. I limit it to a maximum of 30g per each of my 3 meals a day for all those reasons. As this point if you are anything like my 15 year old son there's lots of growth and therefore hunger plus a need for more insulin to overcome the natural insulin resistance you get at times of high growth.
If you choose to eat more carbs for whatever reason too much will be too much if you're not able to balance those carbs with insulin boluses and consequently are going high a lot or have lots of lows because you're overdosing etc.
On to pof all that is going on you are recognising that you need to take over your own diabetic care and work out what's best for you. You will end up knowing much more than your mum but its great to have someone like her who is looking out for you! Not that my son sees it that way....