How many have achieved long term reversal with LCHF?

dms1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
12 years so far on low carb and exercise with occasional lapses (don't we all?) Never been on medication but did drop about 25 kilos when first diagnosed which I have kept off, although it would be good to lose more!

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Why hasn't anyone produced a zero carb, carb substitute? I am reliably informed that it has been done - apparently McDonalds produced a bun using a carb substitute to bulk out the flour in their low carb buns. It must be possible, then, to produce something that would replace wheat flour pasta, or rice.. I would buy it, at least to try, is somebody did. I find very low carbing extremely difficult, but any carbs at all push my BS up sky high. I've been hungry for ages!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why hasn't anyone produced a zero carb, carb substitute? I am reliably informed that it has been done - apparently McDonalds produced a bun using a carb substitute to bulk out the flour in their low carb buns. It must be possible, then, to produce something that would replace wheat flour pasta, or rice.. I would buy it, at least to try, is somebody did. I find very low carbing extremely difficult, but any carbs at all push my BS up sky high. I've been hungry for ages!
More meat more fat? Sure way to kill hunger..

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can only afford a certain amount of protein foods. I eat lots of eggs, large pieces of fish, chicken, lamb, beef (cheap cuts, cooked low and slow) and pork. Now we are told that all that red meat is bad. With no gall bladder, fats can be a bit of an issue, although I do keep fats on meat. To be honest, although I do like meat, fish and eggs I can only stomach so much of it before I start feeling pretty sick. And vegetables, I'm afraid, just don't cut the mustard for me.

I think I have a carb dependency as well as a carb intolerance. That's why I would try a carb substitute if one was available.

By the way, apologies for the poor keying and proof-reading in my last post.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just found konjak noodles on Amazon. I'm going to give them a go.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Incorrectly IMO and based on very dubious "evidence".
I was just reading that it only increased in the US population and also cited that most of the meat eaters had unhealthy choices otherwise like alcohol and smoking to excess so I’m rolling my eyes at the food questionnaire study again.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just found konjak noodles on Amazon. I'm going to give them a go.

Sadly, every ‘carb replacement’ i have found has been unsatisfactory in some way. Konjac noodles and oomi noodles are passable, but more expensive, gram for gram, than real meat or eggs. The carby processed replacements are still carby, and processed and never taste as nice. And then there are the ultra processed frankenfoods made with cellulose fibre and goodness-knows-what that I wouldn’t call food, and won’t eat. I have tried some of them, but they are also absurdly expensive (lo-dough anyone?) and find them pointless. I will stick with real food except for very occasional indulgances.

As for ‘reversal’... i prefer to call it ‘well controlled without medication’, and have had that for years. Losing track now, but maybe 7? Before that I was low carbing for decades, but moving in with Mr B meant some dietary adjustments that caused a bit of a blip, and I spent some time with T2 blood glucose levels, before returning to better control.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb have you tried courgetti with bolognaise sauce or using slices of courgette to make a low carb version of lasagne? I sometimes have wholewheat pasta which I have cooked, cooled and then reheated and found that it doesn’t affect my BS too much.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb have you tried courgetti with bolognaise sauce or using slices of courgette to make a low carb version of lasagne? I sometimes have wholewheat pasta which I have cooked, cooled and then reheated and found that it doesn’t affect my BS too much.

I have tried courgetti Daphne917 and found it very disappointing. Didn't have it with ragout though. Must try it again. To be honest, I'm not fond of courgettes - or many other veggies come to that. I did make aubergine based lasagne a couple of times but didn't like it. And I never liked wholemeal pasta. I guess I'm just fussy, though I never thought I was. Wholemeal anything tastes musty to me.
No point feeling hard done by about that, I shall make the effort!

Lollygaggle

Once a week I cook a carb free loaf, normally uses coconut flour, almond flour , flax seed , psyllium . Google recipes. That way I have a slice of "bread" a day for my breakfast. It's not quite the same but close enough.

Cauliflower rice is easy to make (or tescos do frozen packets) and makes acceptable rice substitute. I like courgetti but the trick is plenty of sauce and sauté in olive oil. Cauliflower mash with cream cheese and pepper makes a good potato mash substitute.

For birthdays I make carb free cakes , again google, using granular sugar substitute from Aldi , who also do cheap coconut flour, oil, almond flour , flax seed etc

100% chocolate and nuts are my daily treat.

To be honest I thought I would miss carbs but I don't . I know they will "kill" me and that's enough to have put me right off.