How many obese people do NOT develop t2d?

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i say that smacks of she deserves it more me.
Given the subject of the thread, surely it smacks of 'why isn't she diabetic when I am'? as a scientific question rather than saying someone deserves it!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My two other siblings (sisters) have no IR related conditions e.g bauldy men. Uncles neither. Mum has just formed fatty liver in her 60s.
I'm only one with autoimmune conditions too. (Bell's palsy and underactive thyroid).
Severe IR and pcos.

I must be the postman's! Ha ha I do wonder as cousins on dads side only one obese but unsure if diabetic as unsure where near Yale university he lives.

Oh its all a mixed bag even nationalities in my family.

I know more obese people not with diabetes in the northeast of England. However very common here never the less.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Pcos is insulin resistance @JohnEGreen . Hi probability for your daughter. If she get gestational diabetes in pregnancy, a dead cert. Get her low carbing, now?

I did wonder, so will do as you suggest and discuss low carb diet with her.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I did wonder, so will do as you suggest and discuss low carb diet with her.
I wish someone had done that for me. I did watch sugary carbs, most of the time but not low carb. I bet my weight wouldn't have ballooned after pregnancies. (After heavy insulin therapy, twice). I'm concerned about this time too but hoping bariatric surgery will counteract some IR due to weight loss.
I've had to put basal back to 72units of triple strength toujeo300. Which has disappointed me but only way I lose weight. By having great bgs.
Your daughter won't look back. Tell her its for life, but a good, healthy and less problematic life. Very very worth it. It will keep fatty liver at bay too. She wouldnt want my complications with IR.
I'm sure you will coach her well. :)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@ickihun Thanks think this is going to be a low carb household from now on.:)

Sorry you seem to be having issues at the moment and hope your bariatric surgery goes well when you have it and after.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
for some reason i dont react to choccy my bg does not move. much to the kids annoyance.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I come from two big extended families. On my dads side we have the usual mix of body shapes, but among my many cousins and aunts there is not one t2d. they tend to die from cancer and heart disease.
On my mums side, again with a mix of body shapes, you cannot attend a family gathering without some discussion of various autoimmune conditions. As well as t2d we have t1d, hasimotos disease (and underactive thyroid where we have not been tested for hashi)multiple sclerosis, ankylosing spondylitis and other forms of arthritis and something one of my grandsons invented for himself. Two of my cousins children have had gestational diabetes, so I guess they will be prime candidates for t2d. No pcos and we tend to be a fertile bunch, which is odd really, when you consider how dreadful our collective immune systems must be. Some of my family are obese, some aren't, but it hasn't seemed to impact on who has what. My mum, for example, has never weighed more than 8st all her life and she is as tall as me (5ft 6ins). But 20 yrs ago she developed t2d. And was told she had an underactive thyroid.

I was quite annoyed with the presenter when she said that this was a lifestyle disease, but her t1d wasn't. She said it several times, so it must be important to her. I think what I was looking for in this question was some studies that looked at the maths. How many obese people NEVER develop t2d? That seems quite an important question. As many think, it has to be genetic and I have found some studies which pin point some of the genes required. I have seen the figure of 80% obese people never developing t2d, but cannot find any confirmation of this. Does anyone know?
I quite like @bulkbiker s approach and will have another look at that.

Many thanks to all who took the time to answer. Very helpful when trying to argue with those who tell us its all our own fault.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think the presenter has blinkers on. We don't. You don't either, I know that. Please don't take people's annoyance be taken on you. No. They are annoyed at your presenter.
Did your presenter not say 'some or many'?

Thank you for that. Although I think @paulus1 is annoyed at me.
And the presenter actually t2d is a lifestyle disease, by which I am assuming she meant all of us.
So very ill informed.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
im not annoyed honestly. i just hate everything being blamed on being fat. im sick of the shame thats poured on us fatties. its bad enough that no matter what you see your doctor over it always comes back to weight. yes my weight has not done my health any favours oddly i know. is it responsible for my diabetes who knows. i suspect my genetic make up has a lot more to do with it. 6of my 8 brothers and sisters have it.
obesity is alway blamed on poor self control and obviously its partly that. but its also down to emotional/psychological well being. genetic and metabolic state. even if it was 100% down to bad life style choice it would still not be right to say i deserve it more than a healthy fit person.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
im not annoyed honestly. i just hate everything being blamed on being fat. im sick of the shame thats poured on us fatties. its bad enough that no matter what you see your doctor over it always comes back to weight. yes my weight has not done my health any favours oddly i know. is it responsible for my diabetes who knows. i suspect my genetic make up has a lot more to do with it. 6of my 8 brothers and sisters have it.
obesity is alway blamed on poor self control and obviously its partly that. but its also down to emotional/psychological well being. genetic and metabolic state. even if it was 100% down to bad life style choice it would still not be right to say i deserve it more than a healthy fit person.
Well said, @paulus1. It seems being overweight gives complete strangers the right to hurl insults at you and make derogatory comments - in this day and age of over-PC, those struggling with weight are the last 'easy target'. If they only had a quick look at this site they would see that in no way is it 100% down to bad lifestyle choices, but then again most couldn't be bothered to try and understand the mechanisms and just keep on with the nastiness. When I was a couple of stones overweight, there were at least two instances of people walking by me and calling me 'fattie' - this was quite some time ago, but the attitudes are taking a long time to shift and that hurt also takes a long time to go. I've read your posts and you have a lot on your plate, so the last thing you need is to be blamed. And neither do any of us.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No ive not got a lot on my plate the ability to acknowledge that things that you cant change had better be lived with has served me well. iysthe tuff you can mess up on that causes me the more stress.

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
I think there are likely many causes for Type 2 to develop, probably a lot of those are still not fully understood. However, it seems that once you have it, diet and lifestyle becomes evermore important. Don't get taken in by the media in associating blame on those who suffer with it. Good eating habits and general fitness should always be encouraged, but I don't think we should judge people by their appearance - seems rather harsh to me.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My dad, all 3 of his siblings some of my paternal cousins all have T2 all skinny as rakes. I'm the only fatty (but with PCOS of which I'm the only one in the family) but was quite slim until my early 40s then with no change in lifestyle or eating I piled the weight on at a rate of knots until I was morbidly obese - no one would believe me that no matter what I did I couldn't lose weight and I wasn't a greedy pig! - late 40s diagnosis of T2 - low carb and tablets and my weight dropped off - reducing meds as I went.

I've never got back to my original weight and probably never will- I am certain that I got fat because of undiagnosed T2 and didn't get T2 because I was fat.

Reactions: julie56

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am certain that I got fat because of undiagnosed T2 and didn't get T2 because I was fat.

That is what all the evidence is saying these days. High circulating insulin, followed by or concurrent with insulin resistance, each making the other worse. Weight gain due to the insulin levels. Sometimes years and years down the line, glucose levels rise and T2 is diagnosed. The problem being we don't get insulin level tests so we never know, until it is too late.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think I'll get some t-shirts made with 'I'M NOT FAT I'M FULL OF INSULIN!! !!

I might even get a tattoo under one of those new tattoos which change colour to match your sugar level.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing is, the media are ignoring the point that putting on weight is a SYMPTOM of insulin resistance.

Do we tell people who have a fever that they should stop feeling hot, even though we can see that they have an infection of some sort?

Its the name calling and media encouragement of fat-ism which get me angry. People put on weight for many, many reasons. Under no circumstances should it be right to shame them the way people do, egged on by media and the very misinformed NHS.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My thyroid works better on lchf too, as does my liver ..without, it stops weight loss and causes even more weight gain.

Many come close to eating disorders to please the public..... Not me. I was only that daft in my teens. I learned my lesson.

A little part of me wonders if I got severe IR because of how health conscious I was and exercised for 2hrs everyday with my ex-football hubby then stopped being sooo active and super fit. Extra insulin in 2 pregnancies too. :(