How many test strips do you use a month?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Evening all,

Just thought I'd ask the question, as I seem to be running low on test strips and especially since I've read some nightmare stories on here regarding GPs and such like!

As I've mentioned before I am on a pump now and have been asked to do lots of fasting and testing to get my mu basal rate right, however this is eating into my supply of strips.

So wonder world of Diabetes UK how many do you use on average a month?

RoDnEyBoY.

Hello, probably about 120 to 140 strips per month

Reactions: 2 people

fansy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a pump user, and I test myself 5-8 times a day. I live in Iceland and I dont need my doctors presciptions for those. I get a permission for them every five years . Social security pays most of the cost of those too. But for the first time in my life I have to pay for the insulin...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
300 per month.

Nhs is wonderful, but they afe inder pressure...

There is no increase in our CCG's funding. They are trying to make 20% savings in next year. Population in our are increased my 9.5% -double national average. They expect 50% increase in work loads at hospitals in next 30 years.

They deem that 80% of heart disease, stroke and type 2 could be prevented by a healthy lifestyle.

Unfortunately a governor of our nhs has t2 and doesn't believe in testing and bloodstrips at all... So re education stems from the top...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Totally agree... iHs... And yet he wants to know more about the buddy system... But not for diabetic pump users.. For another illness!!!

I came out from my meeting with him yest trying to work out how I could change his attitude for the better in the future..

However, being an elderly person and me at 50 being the youngest of the Patients at GP Meetings and Local Engagement groups it is very hard as they are pretty much wrapped up in the care for the over 75's and Carers...

Despite the NHS trying to tackle prediabetes and paying a lot of attention to T2's it is very hard when members that belong to Patient Participation Groups etc are all except for me retired... This is what we are up against.

Our CCG has got some spare money.. £3 million pound and they want to know what aspects for over 75 year olds this could be spent on...

How many pumps and test strips would this be?

Off topic... Sorry, but unless younger people get involved, money is never going to be priortised for diabetics.. Just elderly and carers...

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was diagnosed 12 days ago and I've used about 180....I was afraid at first but now I actually kind of enjoy it lol.

That's good life long testing is a good habit to have to stay on top of the disease.

Plus a number of personal trainers are using them on non diabetics to come up with a unique plan for their clients weight loss and muscle gain - following in our footsteps
I use between 5 to 10 a day depending how much I'm exercising

Reactions: 4 people

baz2107

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Minimum of 4 a day, before meals and before bed, on basal/bolus so basically before I inject.

Will test pre and post exercise too and whenever I feel like I may be having a hypo, when not feeling 100% will test every 2 hours as when I am ill I tend to go a lot higher so need more insulin

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
I get thru about 150 a month which I buy myself at about £17 for 50. That's £50 a month. Painful and I can't afford this.
Gloucestershire don't pay for type 2 test equipment

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Strange the way that statistics and expectations of type 2's to progress to insulin... (More expense!!) when if they gave blood strips then the progression to insulin may be less?

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
about 50 a week atm, but i am a lgv licence holder and have to test blood every 2 hours when driving............so sore fingers.ouch!!!

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Minimum of 4 a day, before meals and before bed, on basal/bolus so basically before I inject.

Will test pre and post exercise too and whenever I feel like I may be having a hypo, when not feeling 100% will test every 2 hours as when I am ill I tend to go a lot higher so need more insulin

Same here baz2107, though much more at the moment. We're taking a 3 month holiday, in France, and doing a lot of cycling so am testing far more than normal. :)

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's early days for me, but I reckon about 200+ per month. Probably a little more now that I'm driving again after diagnosis and have started running again...

Dyadya_Maykl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance.
Evening all,

Just thought I'd ask the question, as I seem to be running low on test strips and especially since I've read some nightmare stories on here regarding GPs and such like!

As I've mentioned before I am on a pump now and have been asked to do lots of fasting and testing to get my mu basal rate right, however this is eating into my supply of strips.

So wonder world of Diabetes UK how many do you use on average a month?

RoDnEyBoY.
I test regularly - and certainly before I drive, and every hour or so while driving. That is the rule laid down by the DVLC. I also check before each meal. I take insulin before each meal, and need to know how much to use. I use 1 unit for each 1 CP, and if running high use an extra top up.
I was not aware that GP's could stop you having the test material you need. The diabetic clinic can use polite pressure on them though.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get thru about 150 a month which I buy myself at about £17 for 50. That's £50 a month. Painful and I can't afford this.
Gloucestershire don't pay for type 2 test equipment

I've just switched to the Codefree meter for exactly that reason. 150 strips, bought on bulk from Amazon should be around £20. And the meter only cost £13.

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
I've just switched to the Codefree meter for exactly that reason. 150 strips, bought on bulk from Amazon should be around £20. And the meter only cost £13.
Thanks for the tip Brunneria. I'll have a look at that. Problem is, I bought this Bayer Contour next tester last year and I like it. THEN I got one free in a prize draw! So I now have 2 of them! They are pricey to use....

Eating and exercising my way from manic to moderate Miriam.... and a steady blood glucose.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
10 is about normal if I'm out and about and driving.