How many units.

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Dia-besties,

I’m just wondering how you all take your insulin and have some questions.

I’m currently on Humalin S rapid acting insulin. I take 10 units at lunch and 14 at night. (No breakfast as I I.F)
Q: what is everyone else on?

My morning BG can be between 7-10mmol, I’m sure that I’m spiking at night, should I ask for background insulin, to cover me during the night?

Why are we in set doses and not carb counting like T1? I’m due to go on a carb counting course but I had to fight for this.

Thanks for reading and have a fabulous day.

NC

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I made myself a notebook with alphabetical index and wrote down the percentage of carbs by weight of the foods I found were low enough for me to eat - that was back in the days when I was losing weight doing Atkins, long before diagnosis, but the level of carbs I ate to lose weight was exactly the same as pushed me back into normal levels after diagnosis.
If you want to control your carb intake you need some sort of reference - I expect these days a phone or other electronic thing will do the same job - back then a computer occupied three rooms and required staff to run it. Also needed weighing device - also now electronic and can be reset to zero so you can put exact amounts of various foods onto your plate. You are then all set to keep an accurate diary of your carb intake meal by meal.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Dia-besties,

I’m just wondering how you all take your insulin and have some questions.

I’m currently on Humalin S rapid acting insulin. I take 10 units at lunch and 14 at night. (No breakfast as I I.F)
Q: what is everyone else on?

My morning BG can be between 7-10mmol, I’m sure that I’m spiking at night, should I ask for background insulin, to cover me during the night?

Why are we in set doses and not carb counting like T1? I’m due to go on a carb counting course but I had to fight for this.

Thanks for reading and have a fabulous day.

NC
Hello, I wouldn't really compare doses because we are all different. Taking into consideration you might or might not be insulin resistant, whatever works for you right? I guess it is an initial regime to see how you get on with it. When I was diagnosed in 2001, I was put on mixed insulin and that never agreed with me. I ran high to DKA high and about 4-5 years in, they finally introduced basal/bolus and simple basic carb counting. Fast forward to 2018, I had to fight for a DAFNE course. DAFNE has a very long waiting list :( I guess you can ask about it at your next appointment, I do know a few type 2s on basal/bolus regime and they're doing fantastic with keto/ LCHF way of eating.

Reactions: Kim Possible